PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Pads or LC pads..which to get?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

zainoshine
10-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Hello to all,

I can`t figure out which pad set I should get, the Sonus pads (see autopia-carcare.com) or the Lake Country Hi-Gloss (see properautocare.com) pads. These are going to be for a PC 7424, so I`m looking for input from users of Sonus or Hi-Gloss or both to help sway my decision. For reference, I`m planning on getting 2 of each compounding pad, 2 of each finishing pad, and so on. What are the advantages of each, or does it really not matter?

Also, if I wanted to do full details, engine detailing would be appropriate, right? I kind of know the basics, but I need some specifics and tips; could any of you brief me on the process or recommend me to a great site that goes into detail on the subject?

My last question is what to use, for the first wash of a vehicle, to remove old wax and sealents and such to get the vehicle I`m working on REALLY clean...Dawn?

Thanks to all who respond,
Carl

Focusedonsound
10-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Zainoshine..

Question 1.

I like the L&C Hi-gloss pads I haven`t used the the Sonus pads but the Hi-Gloss pads are just awesome ... I only have their Polishing and Finishing pads but they are great. I know with the L&C their shape allows for easy flowing over body panels that have scoups and curves ect.

Engine detailing ... Check out the Sticky in the Main street forum ... Detailing according to Jngrbrdman. I beleive he goes over engine compartmen detiling pretty well.

If your doing a FULL detail then I would recomend using a soap like Zip wash...Your going to be claying the car which will remove the wax and or anything else that still maybe on the car. I never ever ever use dawn ...IMHO it doesn`t even wash the car well!

zainoshine
10-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks!!!

I`ll be sure to read his sticky...can`t believe I missed it! So, anyone try the Sonus pads?

Carl

Bill D
10-17-2004, 03:04 PM
I`m sorta suspicious that LC manufacturers the Sonus pads; there`s not a whole lot of pad makers out there and LC is very big on private labeling. However, the Sonus pads don`t appear to be rebadged LC pads ( like those on the the LC site) that anothr distributor could also buy and slap a name on,rather, they could be made for Sonus by LC according Sonus`s specs :dunno

rollman
10-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Just a suggestion to confuse you even more:). The Edge pads, either the 2k or original pads are just as nice for the PC . Since your a member of the DC you can get 10% off at PAC. Blue Edge would cover you for finish polishing and either a green or yellow ( yellow being more aggressive) would cover you for cutting work. If you went with the Edge 2k pads you could do a combo blue/green or blue /blue, green /yellow or for that matter what ever combo you could think of. Good luck :bigups

NYV6Coupe
10-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but I`m pretty sure that Sonus pads are limited to a 5" backing plate so, if you already own a 6" plate, you`re going to have to buy another plate to use the Sonus pads.

This is due to the backside of the Sonus pads being recessed (I`ve seen pictures of these pads in use) like the backside of the LC 7.5" Variable Contact pads and a 6" plate will not fit in the recess.

Also, the 7424 comes with the 5oz counterweight so the Sonus pads may be a good choice for the 7424 & a 5" plate. The 6oz counterweight from the 7336 can easily be added to the 7424 and this would enable you to use a 6" plate & any pads that will fit a 6" plate with acceptable vibration.

I`d recommend something like PP, SSR1, AIO, or P21 Paintwork cleanser for removing all products from the surface and leave you with a fresh, clean surface ready for polishing & sealing.

Actually any polish and/or compound that you use with the 7424 will remove any & all products from the surface.

The Dawn washing thing probably got started at the Zaino website & I think this is because Zaino recommends a first time/one-time wash with Dawn & then applying they`re products without doing any other surface prep.

mtodde
10-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I have used both and give a slight edge to the Sonus pads. I believe that LC does make them to Autopia`s specs; Sonus is the Autopia "house" brand although at least one other site is selling the Sonus spritz. As pointed out, you do not want to use a 6" backing plate with them. Autopia does offer a 5" backing plate with the Sonus pad kit so maybe you could pick up a kit and add a few pads if you go this route.

IMHO engine detailing should be an optional service...if the customer wants to pay for it, then a full-time professional should be able to do it. If you are a weekend warrior or someone like myself that does friends` cars here & there it may be a nice way to pick up extra cash, but it isn`t something most people will invest in. The OCD link referenced above is very good. I`m slowly doing my engine...my car just has 3100 miles so it hasn`t had the chance to get bad.

Rather than using Dawn, I typically will use my cheapest wash (currently NXT) at double or triple strength to remove any old wax/sealant and I always polish. If you are going to clay that will also remove any protectants.

zainoshine
10-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes, you guy`s have confused me even more....

But I knew about the 2k system, I don`t know if I like it....idk. I`m not really into ordering fom PAC since they don`t have all the products I need, only the 4* wash....oh well. What I need are pads, and I`m still confused on getting either Edge, Sonus, or LC. I`m leaning towards Lake Country, but Sonus is cheaper. And then, which LC pads do I get? The variable contact, whatever that other one is....so CONFUSING!!! And now I`m even doubting getting Menzerna and thinking about going the ALL Pinaccle Line route...

Any advice?
Carl

Bill D
10-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Get the Lake Country VC pads:

yellow: cutting

white: polishing

black: finishing/ sealant (like AIO) applier

Nice thing about LC pads is that 6-7 (maybe even more) sites sells them, can check if any substantial price difference between them.

zainoshine
10-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Which pads are easier to center?

Should I go with Pinnacle products or Menzerna? With Pinnacle, I`d need Swirl Mark Remover, Advanced Swirl Mark Remover, Souveran Wax, Liquid Souveran wax, Paste Glaz (light cars), and they`re clay...pretty expensive. With Menzerna, it would be cheaper, but maybe not as good of results (?). Any experience with both and advice on which to go with would be great.

I like how the Sonus pads wrap around the pad, meaning you don`t have to center them (?).

Thanks.
Carl

Bill D
10-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Menzerna is a line of non filling polishes with very high quality abrasives. Ideally used by rotary but I use IP and FP by PC and Cyclo with great results.

Centering a pad really isn`t a big deal at all IMO, takes maybe short of 2 seconds to do. I wouldn`t let that factor make or break choosing one pad over another. I`d see which ones are written about most in praise of their performance here on DC and elsewhere and allow that to help make your decison.

In the very end, if still stuck, maybe just flip a coin to decide ;)

RedondoV6
10-17-2004, 07:19 PM
In the very end, if still stuck, maybe just flip a coin to decide ;)

Best advice from Bill yet!

I own both LC and the Sonus designed (LC built) pads and BOTH sets of pads will get the job done for you. I prefer the Sonus pads slightly but see if you can find any LC pads on sale and price match to the Sonus pads using the 15% off Sonus coupon "SONUS". If there is little to no difference in bottom line price between the LC and Sonus I`d just buy the pads from the online store you intend to order your other supplies from, the difference between the LC and Sonus pads is not worth paying additional shipping for IMHO.

And like Bill says, if all else fails ... flip a coin! :)

zainoshine
10-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys....I think I`m set on Lake Country....oh wait, maybe not!

I`ll take another look at them and make my final decision, however I know that I WON`T go with the EDGE, just seems kind of finicky and hype, when I`ll need to buy another backing plate anyway (for my carpet scrubber attachment). Oh well. I`m buying $350+ of stuff from properautocare.com, so I`ll most likely go Lake Country.

Thanks guys, still continue to post advice, though!

Carl

Luv-N-It
10-18-2004, 06:55 AM
The Edge pads have no hype to them and are as good as advertised. To each is their own, however, IMO, the fast connection as well as double sided, can`t beat them.

AudiOn19s
10-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Zainoshine you havn`t stated what backing plate you have for your PC...that or I didn`t read close enough..if you have a 5` plate already you should be fine with either pad as many have stated above. They all do basically the same job.

If you`ve got a 6` backing plate I highly recommend the 7.5` advanced VC pads that just about eveyone sells. I first purchased many 6.5` pads and was using them with the 6` backing plate and found that no matter how careful that I was I was cutting into the pad eventually and making a mess with flying foam everywhere. I have since ordered the 7.5 advanced LC pads and love the fact that I will never cut into the pad with the backing plate with these pads..and they actually are very nice to work with around mirrors ect.

If I were to go back to 6.5` pads I`d probably pick the Sonus pads and purchase a 5` backing plate to insure no more worries or problems like I had previously. throwing away $50-75 worth of pads after only a couple of uses is agrivating and i don`t want to go down that road again.

Andy