PDA

View Full Version : Omg... Look What I Just Did!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ExplorerXLT95
07-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Ok, so I was on my lunch break today. I walk balk to my car (which was parked next to one of those all too familiar concrete islands with grass and a tree on it) and start `er up. Well, I move about 5 feet and then....... KKKKKKKKCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC..... that`s kinda what it sounded like.....

So before I get out of the car, I scream profanities with the windows up and get all huffy. I re-park the car, get out and take a look at the damage. I will NEVER park so close to a curb again. So here`s the nastiness that is my front left CHROME wheel.

From far away (maybe it`s just the lighting) you can`t really notice it all that much...

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/sean_martin14/DCP_0868r.jpg

Here`s a close-up:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/sean_martin14/DCP_0876r.jpg

Another:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/sean_martin14/DCP_0874r.jpg

Another(notice the flash):

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/sean_martin14/DCP_0873r.jpg

And one final one:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/sean_martin14/DCP_0871r.jpg

So what do you think are my options?? For as much as I reacted to it, it really isn`t as bad as it could have been had I not stopped immediately. Maybe you disagree?

Is there anything you all know of that can fix this sort of thing well, aside from buying a new wheel? I probably will end up buying a new wheel because I can`t look at that sort of thing for long. It hurts my heart, mind, and soul. :(

At Ford Racing Parts.com they have the OEM Chrome wheel, but it says "Coming Soon": Stock 2003 SVT Cobra 17"x9"Chrome Wheel - $295.00 (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6009)

Found it at Gefracing.com too, for less (not surprisingly), and it says "In Stock": Stock 2003 SVT Cobra 17"x9" Chrome Wheel - $235.95 (http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=M1007S179C&Category_Code=WHEELS)

So my questions are...

1) Should I try to fix this with some product? If so, what product? (I have EO Mag & Aluminum Polish) I`m worried about rust.

2) If you were in this situation (God forbid) would you buy a new wheel, try to fix it somehow or just leave it?

PLEASE help me out guys... I am pretty upset over this (yea, I know :sosad ) :(

stilez
07-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear...This stuff happens though.

*You* will not be able to fix it. It is chrome. It will need to be filled, sanded and re-chromed. For that money ($200+), you might as well buy a new one and keep this one at home incase you bend one (knock on wood).

The prices aren`t too bad.

Good Luck with it.

Redcar GUY
07-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I did "almost" The same to one of my SS wheels a few years back. I used a little 3000 grit wet/dry sand paper and water.. It dosnt fix the problem but it will help it look a little better. DONOT touch anyother part of the wheel with the paper. (ask me how I know)

do this at your own risk!

Redcar GUY
07-21-2004, 07:42 PM
PS!

Go have them take off that ugly wheel weight and put the stick on ones in the inside! bla

ExplorerXLT95
07-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

I did "almost" The same to one of my SS wheels a few years back. I used a little 3000 grit wet/dry sand paper and water.. It dosnt fix the problem but it will help it look a little better. DONOT touch anyother part of the wheel with the paper. (ask me how I know)

do this at your own risk!

How much better did it make it look?

I really think I`m just going to order a new chrome wheel. It`s just that this car was completely from-factory. Now I have a replacement OEM part on it. Yea, it`s the exact same part, but the whole car is now infected with the "not-exactly-from-the-factory" feeling for me. It didn`t come on the car... Plus now, do I have to worry about that wheel being shinier than the others?!.....

Am I being a little odd about this, or do you understand/agree with me? :(

**EDIT**

PS!

Go have them take off that ugly wheel weight and put the stick on ones in the inside! bla

I didn`t even know that was possible... Does any old shop have the ones that go on the inner part of the rim? I am DEFINITELY going to do that, if that`s the case. Any suggestions on where to get it done?

ZaneO
07-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Any Discount Tire will do it.

Redcar GUY
07-21-2004, 08:01 PM
I think it made it look a ton better. Way better than it was and it was free…. Also it looks like you should be glad have the tires that you do, that strip on the side kept you from really screwing your wheel..

Jack up car, Put wheel in another cars trunk... Take wheel/tire to a shop you trust (look what other cars they are working on) Make sure it is a "up to date" shop that do 17-20-24in+ up wheels, most of the time if they are doing big chrome wheels our 17-18in chromes are no problem for them. Also, take a pic of the wheel with you dig cam BEFORE you take the wheel to them, when you get there tell them you are picky and please be careful with the wheel, it is from your baby.. And if they screw up the wheel, show them the pic.. ;) Some of you might think this is to far but when you have nice stuff you cant take any chances with mom and pop shops... Most newer shops only use the inside ones on the chromes....

Ill see if I can find my pic of my screwed wheel....

ExplorerXLT95
07-21-2004, 08:17 PM

I think it made it look a ton better. Way better than it was and it was free…. Also it looks like you should be glad have the tires that you do, that strip on the side kept you from really screwing your wheel..

Jack up car, Put wheel in another cars trunk... Take wheel/tire to a shop you trust (look what other cars they are working on) Make sure it is a "up to date" shop that do 17-20-24in+ up wheels, most of the time if they are doing big chrome wheels our 17-18in chromes are no problem for them. Also, take a pic of the wheel with you dig cam BEFORE you take the wheel to them, when you get there tell them you are picky and please be careful with the wheel, it is from your baby.. And if they screw up the wheel, show them the pic.. ;) Some of you might think this is to far but when you have nice stuff you cant take any chances with mom and pop shops... Most newer shops only use the inside ones on the chromes....

Ill see if I can find my pic of my screwed wheel....

So I do all that a total of 4 times? Sounds kinda time consuming...:nixweiss

ZaneO
07-21-2004, 08:27 PM
You can take your whole car. Do you have Discount Tire up there?

Redcar GUY
07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
No I am sorry…

When I changed over to Chromes on the SS from the painted wheels I took the 4 new wheels and the 4 painted wheels with the tires to the shop. We put them in a truck.

Who knows, maybe I am just to picky with the SS???

At some shops, they have no idea where to jack up sports cars and they use impacts on the lugs and get them to tight and make your rotors warped… I would take the Saturn in to get the tires changed, but then I am no where as picky with it. If I had your Cobra (witch I wish I did) I would treat it the same way I do the SS….

Redcar GUY
07-21-2004, 09:00 PM
ExplorerXLT95

Your PM box is full...

ExplorerXLT95
07-21-2004, 09:12 PM

ExplorerXLT95

Your PM box is full...

I don`t think it is now... Just deleted a bunch of stuff... I never even knew it was full! :nixweiss I dunno. Try again man :D

groebuck
07-21-2004, 10:22 PM
AHHHH man I can sympathsize - I parked next to one at the supermarket, when I pulled out -shrrrrrrrrrrip. I got out and there was a small piece of concrete sticking out cut right through the clear on the face of my brand new Acura TL-S `s rim - I could have cried.

lbls1
07-21-2004, 11:08 PM
You know, the same thing happened to me with my ss. I had my rims polished though, so they are not chromed. I swore to myself that I would never curb them, and one day as I was taking it out of the driveway, I was making a wide turn to try to make the park in one swing and scrape!!!!!! That dreaded noise.

I am going to take the rim back to my metal work detail guy and he (hopefully) will mill it out. If it doesn`t come out to my satisfaction, then I`ll have to polish another wheel.

At least now I don`t feel quite so bad. You know sometimes having good rims can be a curse.

PS: my screw up was a bit worse....

tcfool
07-21-2004, 11:09 PM
I can`t sympathsize... dammmmmmmmmmmm!

TC

:nono

Grrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: