PDA

View Full Version : New smoke color truck

hardcore
10-16-2004, 11:49 PM
I`m new to this type of detailing and never realized how many things I`ve been doing wrong. I`m picking up my new truck at the end of the month and want to have the right products ready.
I`m asking for advise with a new piant job thats smoke in color. I`m thinking of ordering the special package of either poorboys or clearcoats products. I plan on telling my dealer not to clean my truck. I though I would wash,clay,wash, then the polish and wax phase. I`m in NJ and the winters are tough. I do want protection as well as that depth feeling.
I also have the Zaino products. I bought almost 2 years ago. I used them once and felt it was too much work for the results. I felt the protecting didn`t last long as water stopped beading about two weeks later.
Thanks for the help...

Focusedonsound
10-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Welcome to DC!

Where in NJ are you located?

Your off to a good start by not letting the dealer touch the car! My recomendation would be don`t put all of your eggs in one basket! You will find that a lot of people here use different manufacturers for different things (although you can`t beat any poorboys products for the prices!) My favorite combo at the moment ... SSR2.5-SSR1-Polish with Carnuba-EX-P-Nattys. (all Poorboys I put all my eggs in one basket)

If your going to be picking up new products .... I would get at least SSR 1 maybe even SSR 2 (or 2.5 which is simply an amazing product and tastes great too) You are bound to find swirling in the paint even if the dealer didn`t touch it. I would also recomend picking up Spray & Wipe.... its a great waterless wash and great for Bird Sh*t removal ect...

I don`t know too much about Zaino however I know EX-P and EX work awesome and Nattys for the price is the best thing since sliced bread!

Hope this gives you a foundation to start with.... One last thing...get your self a PC! With a big truck like that it will make it a lot easier on your arm...

BookemDano
10-17-2004, 10:57 AM
If "smoke" is sort of a medium gray, then Zaino Z5 should work very well on your truck. It looks very nice on my grey `02 Audi A4.

Your Zaino chemicals should still be good. Z2 and Z5 are supposed to have a shelf-life of about 3 years.

Get a PC to apply polish and Zaino. Especially with a large truck, it will be much less work and look much better. I`ve used the LC 7.5" VC red pad to apply Z5. It works very well

If you have Z5 or Z2, make sure that you use ZFX. Applied thinly with an LC red pad, I found Z5 + ZFX ready for buffing in about 30 minutes - about the time it takes to apply Z5 to my entire Audi. That`s with the garage temp at about 65 degrees and moderate humidity.

What Zaino products do you have?

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.