PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite interior detailing tool

Pages : [1] 2 3

blackntan
07-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Just thought you guys would like to hear about this new little trick i`ve learned...

This is going to sound odd, but it really works...

For cleaning vinyl, not just dressing it up, I`ve just discovered a technique that works wonders..

First, get your favorite dressing... I like 303 or Mequiars Natural. Then get a dish sponge. I don`t know how to describe the one I mean, but i`ll try anyway... It`s one of the foam sponges, but it`s entirely covered with a plastic mesh of sorts... Not one of the ones with the rough side and sponge side.. Hope that made sense..

Anyway, you take this sponge, soak it in your dressing, and proceed to scrub the grime off of your vinyl areas that are dirty. The shifter, the console, the arm rests.. Cleans em all to perfection... I mean i`ve tried everything to get the interior this clean in the past with no results. No matter how hard you scrub with a rag, or what vinyl cleaner you use, there`s always some residue stuck in the vinyl wrinkle pattern.. Not anymore!!!! I`m talking factory fresh.

I`ll try to get some pics, but I turned the interior of my girl`s neglected 150k Toyota back in time about 5 years. She`s had the car since it was new, and this is the best it`s ever looked inside..

Highly recommended

Don
07-21-2004, 08:40 AM
I know the sponge you mean. It`s marketed as a `Bug Scrubber` sponge in the automotive market. The polypropelyne webbing gives it the scrubbing power, while the sponge part of it holds the cleaner (or in this case the dressing).

http://store5.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1800_28639820

blackntan
07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Yeah!!!! That`s the one!! Nice!

Thanks for that. That thing is a beast of an interior cleaner, and it`s gentle enough not to scratch anything.

Try it on dirty vinyl. You`ll love it.

imported_eggroll
07-21-2004, 09:36 AM
yay, i have a friend that has white vinyl, i was scrubbing so hard just to get a little dirt off. I will definitely try this.

kpounds
07-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the tip blackntan. Autopians strike again!

DaGonz
07-21-2004, 11:37 AM
A bug sponge also works with a solvent to remove road tar safely. I wash the panel, then spray the solvent on the bug sponge and rub gently. The mesh breaks up the tar nicely. then I rinse the sponge in a soapy water solution, respray the solvent and go to the next panel.

Try it, you`ll like it! ;)

imported_BumpersPlus2
07-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I also use it for headliners, steering wheels, and tar as said.

Scottwax
07-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Interesting. Definitely have to try that.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-21-2004, 11:45 PM
OK, I have to ask, cuz Im an Autopian....Are you sure you just didnt break it down and spread it all over ? It would have been interesting to see if you had used a APC or vinyl cleaner after you had "removed" the stains, and seen if there was anything left to clean up......My $.02.

blackntan
07-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Good question patrick! I wish I had a video.

I used that scrubber and Meguiar`s natural. Then I scrubbed everything down, and everything was removed! The shifter and console looked brand new, even though it was 150k old... It removed everything.

Just to be sure, I sprayed more Meguiars natural on everything, then wiped it down with a white cotton cloth.

It was clean. Nothing came off. It was great.

I`m telling you, you can find the scrubbers at your grocery store for a dollar. I`ll take a picture of the exact one I used and post it if you like....

I used to hate doing interiors.. now I just hate glass and carpet... :p

ensteele
07-22-2004, 01:08 AM
I wonder if that would work on leather cleaners as well. It should! I will give it a try.

blackntan
07-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Here are some pics of what I use, and how it works out... I`m not sure how effective they are, I rushed em, but here goes nuthin..

blackntan
07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
results....

The lower part of the armrest was brutal before....

blackntan
07-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Ashtray...

petraidm
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
I use it thiis tool to apply protectant to my convertible top. I love it. I use a microfiber applicater for applying interior protectant (PBs NL)