PDA

View Full Version : White car - brown tint

shaggeboxer
07-20-2004, 11:21 PM
I`m going to be detailing a friend of my Dad`s car tomorrow, I kinda put this up too late but we`ll see what I get:

The car`s white, but its about 10 years old and has a brown tint on it. What do I use to get rid of it?

Thanks

andriver
07-20-2004, 11:25 PM
You may need a chemical cleaner polish such as AIO. It should help to clarify the paint.

ncal
07-20-2004, 11:30 PM
It may need a claying. I came across a white mazda mx 6 that was brownish due to all the contaminent that was embedded.

hondaguy2582
07-20-2004, 11:58 PM
What products do you have? Honestly, I would definitely get some paint cleaner(preferably meguiars medallion premium paint cleaner or deep crystal paint cleaner #1 at a local auto store, or even try meguiars color x if you can find that).

If the surface is very oxidized, just use the paint cleaner first to get rid of the oxidation, then clay away.

Don
07-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Give this article (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=39) a read. It`s by Mike Phillips, and documents his experience with white S/S paint. It doesn`t only apply to white paint, but it will tell you exactly why the white car you`re about to do has a brown tint.

blackntan
07-21-2004, 09:18 AM
That`s a great article Don! Reinforced a lot of things i`ve learned on my own, but was unsure how to process..

While i`ve had fantastic success using 3M fine cut and AIO (both using PC) to remove the film when i`ve experienced it, I would certinly expect MPPC or color x to work as well. If I was working by hand it`d have to be MPPC, as the chemical cleaners should work without the PC`s work ethic...

audiguy69
07-21-2004, 06:26 PM
WASH IT WITH - ALL, WITH WHITENING.

Yes, that`s right, All with whitening laundry detergent.

People with white cars that have turned "yellow" swear by it....

Don
07-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by pologuy

WASH IT WITH - ALL, WITH WHITENING.

Yes, that`s right, All with whitening laundry detergent.

People with white cars that have turned "yellow" swear by it....

No offense, but would these be the same people who LET thier car turn yellow??

travisdecpn
07-21-2004, 07:42 PM
it seems as though laundry detergent would have the same affect as dawn on the surface and just dry it out.