PDA

View Full Version : newer paint what can i use, body shop horror story!

quamen
07-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Well the locol body shop repainted a nice camero, but they wetsanded it like hell!! There is swirls and wetsanding marks all over the vehicle. The customer took it back and they wanted to charge him alot to remove this!!He doesnt ever want them to touch it anymore, so he hired myself to remove these marks.

I tried on a small spot as a test aio and it worked great,but what can be used on newer paint? He just wants the defects removed,but the paint is still fresh. It is only about a couple months old.

So bascially, what can i use on this new fresh paint to just remove the defects and bring back the shine.

ZaneO
07-20-2004, 09:31 PM
I really don`t see AIO removing wetsanding marks. I really don`t know how you are using it, because you are the only one who is getting those results.

I would use something from the Poorboy`s SSR line.

dcswd
07-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I dont know the severity of the swirls, or how deep they are, but I dont know about AIO. I thought that was a chemical cleaner, so it woudlnt do much.

I would think that you would want something slightly abrasive, that doesnt leave anything behind. Poorboys SSRs would work for that. Maybe some Menza(sp?) and 3M products would work too.

Its my understanding that if there is wax on the paint, or fillers or whatever, it will prevent the paint from properly curing.

quamen
07-20-2004, 09:54 PM
what about dacp, i only have klasse,poorboys polish and wax, all meguairs stuff actually. i was using the klasse with an orange pad on 6. ill take pics

ZaneO
07-20-2004, 10:50 PM
DACP would work if the paint called for it. I would try the Poorboys Polish first, then move to the DACP if necessary.

groebuck
07-20-2004, 11:11 PM
How recently is the repaint? crap job or not you should not apply any wax or sealant to it (aio leaves behind an acrylic) - maybe DACP but I would check with meguiars to be sure it is okay to use (unless it has been at least 30 days - check with the body shop to see how long they recommend he should wait.

ZaneO
07-20-2004, 11:19 PM
He said it was a couple of months old.

SpoiledMan
07-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, you can use #80 Speed Glaze on it. It has some cutting ability and leaves some protection behind while being safe for new paint.

safetyman2010
07-22-2004, 01:52 PM
You should be using a bodyshop product that contains no silicones or fillers. I would recommend Autoglym 03B fine Abrasive with the lambswool pad followed by 02B Ultrafine Renovator and the foam pad to remove any swirls. This will give you killer results if used properly. These products are also rebadged as the Norton "clearchoice" polishes as well but have the same product numbers. Good luck.