PDA

View Full Version : sealed, glazed???

RonTL
07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
what`s glazeing and what is sealing. dont really understand?

and after using 1zpp, should i glaze and seal, or can i should wax right after 1zpp?

groebuck
07-20-2004, 05:36 PM
A glaze is an oily product that will impart a deep wet look to the paint. It may or may not contain fillers (to help hide swirls and what not) but leaves behind no protection. A sealant is a synthetic that acts like a wax. It gives carnuba like shine with greater durability. Soooo you would glaze then seal! - does that make sense?

veeduby
07-20-2004, 06:01 PM
so would you use a glaze with no fillers if the paint was perfect?

Demon Detailer
07-30-2004, 07:42 PM
The term "fillers" is kind of misleading. Most glazes create their shine by using either silicone oil or a petroleum oil (like a mineral oil). So, they all have "fillers" in them.

But, that is what is providing the depth and gloss that makes a car stand out.

So, you don`t need the glaze. It is more important to protect the paint with the sealant. But by two stepping you will achieve a better outcome.

I hope this answers your question.

Bill D
07-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Some sealants, like Klasse and Zaino, cannot have oil glazes on the finish or they will not bond. The finish needs to be totally "sterile". One of the down sides to them is that they will show whatever defects are still in the paint and in a sense, enhance them.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Glazes should be used short term, like a show or display. As said, you need to find a good combo, as sealers really need a perfect clean surface to work properly......A lot of glazes wont work well with sealants...

shaf
07-31-2004, 04:37 AM
Glazes pretty much are synonymous with "fillers". They are usually used with carnauba waxes, but not exclusively. It is kind of a case-by-case basis on what things go well them, so you might want to ask first. For Klasse and Zaino for example, you wouldn`t use it.

As far as I know, there isn`t such a real step as "sealing".... but you could use polymer sealants instead of or in conjunction with carnauba waxes, as said.

317indy
07-31-2004, 05:03 AM
What is a good sealer? And what is a good glaze?

I used #7 Glaze and I have yet to find a good sealer that I like.

imported_Larry A
07-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Onthe bottle of meg #7it says sealer and reseal glaze. On the bottle of Mothers second step it says sealer and glaze . My question is what does the sealer mean in both glazes?

shaf
08-01-2004, 07:15 PM
As far as I know, we should pretty much ignore references to "sealer" or "sealing" in BOTH of those products....

Whatever the heck they are referring to I am pretty sure that it is NOT the same thing as using polymer sealant waxes.