PDA

View Full Version : please answer asap. trim on avalanche and aio not so good!! dealership?

Pages : [1] 2

quamen
07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Lets make a long story short here. Guy brings his 2003 avalanche to the dealer to get detailed. They detail it,and the plastic trim is white within a few days. He calls me to detail the vehicle again, which i did and used aio on the plastic. The plastic turned back to white again!! We have been having alot of rain and whatnot, so maybe it didnt get a chance to absorb good enough? Anyways, what can i use to remove this residue? I was thinking peanut butter, or the alcohol mix, wax blaster which im running out of. I have motherb2b which im going to try and should work? HOw can i really clean the surface well so it is prepped?

Jcrawford
07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
i`ve used peanut butter and it works great. i rub it on the white spots with a toothbrush and agitate it a little and then shoot it off w/ my elec. pressure washer. i find that peanut butter is the only thing that actually removes the wax stains. b2b, aio, Forever black are all cover ups and the white will eventually shine through.

Good Luck!

dternst
07-19-2004, 11:02 PM
The two best products I`ve come arcoss that removes wax residue from trim are Wax Blaster (CMA) and GR-40 (Top of the Line). I used Wax Blaster up until I was given a sample of GR-40 from a friend. The stuff works great.

imported_nowaterno
07-19-2004, 11:06 PM
I use Einszett Plastik-Reiniger on my MINI`s plastic wheel arch trim and it takes the wax and polish stains off better than anything I`ve used to date. I then follow that up with Einszett Tiefenpfleger to seal and protect the trim. the Tiefenpfleger leaves a nice dark rich satin finish and I think has UV protection in it.

medic159
07-20-2004, 09:10 AM
What about "Back to Black?"

a.k.a. Patrick
07-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by DFTowel

What about "Back to Black?"

No can do....You really need to remove the residue prior to anything.....B2B will fade in a week or two, and your back at sq 1. The best alternative, aside from removing, and really wanting to darken the black, would be to use Black Again, which is an actual dye product....

foxtrapper
07-21-2004, 05:50 AM
Best product I`ve found for removing wax and polish from plastic trim is Eagle A2Z wheel cleaner. It really works.

As for making plastic trim pretty, Black Again is the best I`ve found. It`s another of those products that really works.

Black Again also does a darn good job of cleaning out the wax and polish gunk. Not quite as well as A2Z does, but close. Far better then any of the other products or tricks I`ve tried.

Accumulator
07-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by quamen

...2003 avalanche to the dealer to get detailed. They detail it,and the plastic trim is white within a few days. He calls me to detail the vehicle again, which i did and used aio on the plastic. The plastic turned back to white again!!

As best you tell, is the "whiteness" from the original dealer-wax? I`d be very surprised if it`s from the AIO, but if so I`d like to know.

I wonder about using AIO topped with a sealant (I usually use BF for this on trim) :nixweiss

Labster
07-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Where can I find this Black Again product?

imported_Blake
07-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Best product I`ve seen so far is Poorboy`s Trim Restorer.

foxtrapper
07-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Labster

The usual detailing shops and the like. Here`s a few web based ones. The first one lists seperate indoor and outdoor formulations. Not familiar with that. I`ve used only the black bottled outdoor formulation.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/blagandnewag.html

http://www.topoftheline.com/blacagrubren.html

http://store.superior-carcare.net/blackagain1.html

imported_CBX Carl
07-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I have found the Mr Clean Magic Eraser to be the best at removing the white residual from trim. I used it on the textured plastic as well as weatherstriping around the doors and windows. It is very easy to use and the results are immediate. Available at all the local grocery stores.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/eraser_useage.shtml

alineal
07-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Labster

The original Black Again was a petro solvent in a creamy emulsion and worked great for removing oxidation on trim. They`ve now switched the formula to one that`s principally silicone oil and it`s not as effective IMHO. It still is useful. I sell it at my store www.detailsbyalisa.com if you care to check.

alineal
07-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by quamen

Lets make a long story short here. Guy brings his 2003 avalanche to the dealer to get detailed. They detail it,and the plastic trim is white within a few days. He calls me to detail the vehicle again, which i did and used aio on the plastic. The plastic turned back to white again!! We have been having alot of rain and whatnot, so maybe it didnt get a chance to absorb good enough? Anyways, what can i use to remove this residue? I was thinking peanut butter, or the alcohol mix, wax blaster which im running out of. I have motherb2b which im going to try and should work? HOw can i really clean the surface well so it is prepped?

Hope you had success with the suggestions offered here. In case you didn`t, I`ve found the best thing to permanently remove white cleaner residue from trim is a citrus degreaser. I`m talking a full strength one like P21s Total Auto Wash, not the watered down versions available at the grocery store. You usually need to work it in with a toothbrush, especially on textured vinyl, but with patience you`re rewarded. Any dressing, even Black Again, just provides a temporary cover.

Good Luck :-)

Jim Hammill
07-26-2004, 09:37 PM
quamen

The problem may not be what is seems. There has been an issue with the cladding fading on Avalanches for some time, and this may be what you are experiencing rather than wax stains.

I am kind of new here so I dont know the rules on posting external links, but there is a Technical Service Bulletin out there, email at jimhammill2003@yahoo.com for the link.

Jim.