PDA

View Full Version : meguiars #83, and then what??

RonTL
07-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Im a newbie with this stuff and need some help. My car has some minor scratches and swirl marks. Im going to use a clay system and then use the meguiars #83. What do i use after that?

and i have a craftsman polisher/buffer. Is that good enough to use with the polishes?

I have what looks like some white paint sprinkles on my car (my cars red). The previous owner did it somehow. How would i remove that?

One of my friends car paint is faded looking ( i guess that`s called oxidation). Would meguiars #83 fix that or not? if not, what should i use?

SpoiledMan
07-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Pictures will help lots here. I usually follow #83 with 80 but it depends on how hard/soft the paint is. You may be able to get away with just using #80 and then whatever wax.

As for your friend, you might want to try ColorX or Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner(MPPC) and then polish as needed and wax. #83 might work on your friends car also so you can give that a try if you don`t already have the other products.

General Lee
07-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Is your polisher/buffer an orbital? If so it will not break down #83 like it needs to be to be most effective.

Claying may remove the sprinkles you describe so see if that works.

Yes, #83 will remove oxidation but not sure how well it will w/ an orbital(if that is what you have). You can try scratchX by meguiars, apply it by hand. That may help depending how bad the oxidation is.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-18-2004, 02:04 AM
I like to "clean up" after 83. I usually go with VM or another type of finer polish, 80 would be a good choice. Ut then again if the scratches are light, you may want to just go with 80 ! 83 can be difficult to use if the machine you have doesnt have the balls to break it down properly......Shoot, its hard enough to use anyway !

SpoiledMan
07-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

83 can be difficult to use if the machine you have doesnt have the balls to break it down properly......Shoot, its hard enough to use anyway !

It can be like dry concrete sometimes!

a.k.a. Patrick
07-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Chris throw some moose on it, takes the leftovers off in a heartbeat.....

SpoiledMan
07-18-2004, 08:56 AM
I`ll try that next time around. Thanks for the tip.

RonTL
07-18-2004, 10:48 AM
If 83 might be hard with my polisher/buffer. Then what`s a good hand polish to take car of my problems? and what do i use after it?

04BlackAV
07-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I haven`t tried it by hand but I would think #80 would work good.You can leave it on the paint for some time and it still buffs off with ease.Not to mention it also stay`s wet for a long time,similar to the 1Z PP.