PDA

View Full Version : Keep my new car NEW

Pages : [1] 2

pitpug
07-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I just got a brand spanking new Mazda 3s and want to keep my exterior in shape. Should I wait to detail my car or should I start right away. The winters get pretty SALTY out here and its near impossible to properly detail you car in winter. Any advice?

Aurora
07-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the site! Another 3 owner! PICS PICS PICS, please. I would start now. I would go with something with proven layerability and endurance like the Klasse All in One topped with their Sealant Glaze.

Aurora
07-17-2004, 09:02 PM
The upcoming winter will be my first since becoming a detailaholic, so it will be fun trying to avoid chips and scratches from the snow gliding across the finish.

pitpug
07-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Isnt the factory finish like perfect or does a factory fresh car still need help

travisdecpn
07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
You probably want to clay your vehicle then inspect for an swirls or marring on the surface. You can address any issues you have at that point with a swirl remover then top with either a wax or sealant.

TN9thSi
07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
The finish on a "new" car should be in good shape, providing the dealer hasn`t washed it with the "grit rag" they use on all the cars. If there are any visual swirls or cob-webs, you`ll probably want to polish first. You may also consider claying the car because even though new, the paint can attract fallout and rail dust just sitting on the dealer lot. Good luck and congrats on the new 3, it`s a great ride. Oh...and post some pics :D

loco
07-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Congrats on the 3! Love to see those Mazdas!

andriver
07-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Pitpug, welcome to Autopia. Congratulations on your new car. Start learning by reading the great info under the "Learn" icon located at the upper right hand corner of your screen.

imported_perry
07-17-2004, 11:15 PM
I`ve been looking at the Mazda 3 forums here recently. Pretty cool lookin cars, thinkin of picking one up as my next car in 6 months or so.

I`ve seen lots of people complain about them having soft paint -- very susecptible to rock chips. If I end up with one, I`m going to look in to some sort of clear bra.

! apmljv
07-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Welcome to the site! Love to see another Mazda owner~ :D I`m currently owner of a 2001 Protege5 and 2003 Mazda6 and I`m loving both of them!

To answer the original question. I believe most of people have already said it. Clay the car first to get rid of the dirts/grinds coming from dealer`s lot, then inspect it to decide how bad the swirl is. When I got the 6, I had to do a little polishing but not a whole lot, you should be around the same place as well.

Also, feel free to join one of the biggest Mazda virtual community @ www.mazdaiii.com or http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142

You`ll find alot of great info on that site and car meets around your place. :D

hirosh
07-18-2004, 07:51 AM
:welcome

what color did you get? my friend got the titanium grey 3s, and it is so hard finding any light scratches or swirls, not that i minded! :xyxthumbs

but yeah, wash, clay, polish, and seal/wax. the "learn" button has a lot of good articles. and for your harsh winters, Klasse and Zaino seem to be the preferred sealants. living in hawaii, i wouldn`t know how either one handles snow! :p

pitpug
07-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Let`s see first, mine didn`t sit on a dealer lot, I waited for it - so it came off the hauler the night before I picked it up. So I shouldn`t have any of those "sitting on dealer lot problems." Second it`s Strato Blue. First choice was Lava Orange, but I love the blue was being delivered so I went with that. Clear bra`s - where does such an animal exist?

03WRXMA
07-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by pitpug

Thanks for all the advice. Let`s see first, mine didn`t sit on a dealer lot, I waited for it - so it came off the hauler the night before I picked it up. So I shouldn`t have any of those "sitting on dealer lot problems." Second it`s Strato Blue. First choice was Lava Orange, but I love the blue was being delivered so I went with that. Clear bra`s - where does such an animal exist?

Look into Xpel or Stoneguard.

TechSol
07-19-2004, 07:00 PM
I would definately start right away. My friend bought a black Mazda6 a year ago and I was looking at it a few days ago when the light hit it... I hadn`t realized how bad his finish looked after only one year. He washes it pretty frequently and waxed it a few times... but he has VERY bad swirl marks already and many other flaws that I`ve never seen on that new of a car. I`m most likely going to take care of that for him in the next few days.

xjdmb16a2six
07-22-2004, 12:50 AM
i would claybar it and give it a nice couple layer of wax. when i got my car last year the dealer didnt wash it very good. there was still rubber glue from the wraps on the car.