PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Clean The Weatherstripping?

crobinso
10-16-2004, 02:21 AM
I want to keep my weatherstripping from rotting out over the years. What products can I use to clean and maintain them?

Charles

JaredPointer
10-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Armor All, 303, and I`m sure the Poorboy`s dressings. I am also sure many others can be used as well.

Beemerboy
10-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Poorboys trim restorer is about the best IMO but over the counter amor all will do the job. Apply to the rubber then buff a little to get the residue off and your good to go!

The Chee
10-16-2004, 10:51 AM
I`ve been using natural look all this while, will TR be a better choice for it?

cheers

Beemerboy
10-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Just re-read this thread to clean you can use an all puorpose cleaner for the then what I said before. PB natural look is another decent choice. I just like his TR better seems to get the rubber looking new again

OI812
10-16-2004, 08:42 PM
I want to keep my weatherstripping from rotting out over the years. What products can I use to clean and maintain them?

Charles

I agree to clean them I would use an all purpose cleaner and follow up with PB Nautral look like Beemerboy said.

On the issue of maintain and preventing rot. I am not sure what is in PB or Armor All, but my GMC owners manual recommend a silicone grease. I asked my auto mechanic buddy about this and he agreed with the silicone grease. I don`t know about warm climates year round, but where it gets cold he said the silicone grease will not attract water and will repel water. Since the water won`t stay there the seals won`t freeze to the door in the winter. I guess that make sense. He also said that the silicone grease will keep the seals soft. Take it for what is worth. I have looked for a tub of silicone grease and haven`t been able to locate one. Take that for what is worth.

sgo
10-16-2004, 10:55 PM

Charles

Here`s what 303 protectant says about that.
********From their web site*****
"EPDM is great stuff, but it has some downsides. It`s tear resistance is only fair, so sticking & tearing is not uncommon. And just like real rubber, it has extremely poor resistance to solvents (petroleum distillates) and oils.
"You mean I don`t have to `protect` my car`s door & trunk seals?" That`s right, and treating your seals with a leading-brand "protectant" is almost always exactly the WRONG thing to do to your seals. Any chemical product that contains oils or petroleum distillates is incompatible with EPDM.

TIP: NEVER apply any rubber or vinyl treatment that has an oily or greasy nature or contains petroleum distillates. READ THE LABEL! If a product contains petroleum distillates, do not apply it to your rubber seals.

Though its powerful UV screening benefit is not needed in this application, 303 Aerospace Protectant is great for cleaning EPDM seals and to keep them clean. 303 Aerospace Protectant makes EPDM seals look like new and PREVENTS sticking and tearing. Because it is safe for EPDM and prevents sticking & tearing, manufacturers exclusively recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant for this application." **************

Hope this helps.

TheSopranos16
10-16-2004, 11:25 PM
I agree with SGO 100 Percent. I was under the same impression: that 303 is the stuff to use and other products are harmful...If you have it, definately use 303. If you don`t have it, you should seriously consider getting it because its one of the best protectants out there!!