PDA

View Full Version : Making Silver Metallic cars.. deep, wet, and shiny?

Pages : [1] 2

Emotion Magnet
07-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Current plan, feel free to add stuff up on it

my car is a 3000GT silver metallic

... i wanna make it pretty. ... thats gonna be tough

---Tires/Rims---

EO Wet Wash w/ Stiff Brush for tires , Soft brush for Rims

Carnauba Wax w/ terry cloth

Meguiars Hot Shine Spray

-break-

---Exterior---

EO Wet Wash w/ Eurow sheepskin mitt

Clay Magic

-break-

Meguiars Deep Crystal System

(1.Paint Cleaner) w/ megs foam applicator / remove with microfiber towel

-break-

(2.Polish) /w megs foam applicator / remove with microfiber towel

-break-

(3.Carnauba Wax) /w megs foam applicator / remove with microfiber towel

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-15-2004, 10:55 PM
I`ve never detailed a silver car...however check out the BMW by Scottwax in this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41052

ZaneO
07-15-2004, 11:00 PM
VM/Ex-P or Zaino look very nice on silver.

Emotion Magnet
07-15-2004, 11:23 PM
i have all that stuff bought, im just wondering if there is anything i should add because its silver and stuff..

Emotion Magnet
07-16-2004, 01:32 AM
no more tips?

travisdecpn
07-16-2004, 02:30 AM
maybe in place of step 3 you should try a couple coats of NXT, it seems to do a nice job on silver as well.

vavavoom
07-16-2004, 03:24 AM
I`ve got a 3000GT in Silver as well and usually use the following.

Clay bar to get it silky smooth, Zymol HD cleanse followed by One Grand Glaze to get the shine and finished with either Meguires Gold class or Zymol Concours wax.

I pulled up in the petrol station the other day and while filling it up, I couldn`t beleive the shine!

Almost as good as the Silver car in this link I found on another thread.

He`s done a fantastic job on this one!

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showt...&threadid=37262

Chris

SilverBelle04
07-16-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Emotion Magnet

Current plan, feel free to add stuff up on it

my car is a 3000GT silver metallic

... i wanna make it pretty. ... thats gonna be tough

---Tires/Rims---

EO Wet Wash w/ Stiff Brush for tires , Soft brush for Rims

Carnauba Wax w/ terry cloth

Meguiars Hot Shine Spray

-break-

---Exterior---

Clay Magic

-break-

Meguiars Deep Crystal System

(1.Paint Cleaner) w/ megs foam applicator / remove with microfiber towel

-break-

(2.Polish) /w megs foam applicator / remove with microfiber towel

-break-

(3.Carnauba Wax) /w megs foam applicator / remove with microfiber towel

Are you doing all of this by hand ? That`s going be a lot of manual labor. You`re arms are going to look like Popeye`s when you`re finished. :lol

Your process should work for you. Will it be the absolute best possible ? Maybe, maybe not ? IOM....there`s no foolproof process, but it should turn out pretty shiny if you follow the instructions.

My favorite combos on my silver Max are:

1. Meguiars # 80 followed by Pinnacle Paste Glaz

2. Meguiar`s # 80 followed by Meguiar`s #26 High Tech Yellow Liquid Wax

3. NXT looks pretty good too.

Bob

stilez
07-16-2004, 07:28 AM
VM/EX-P is my choice for silver :D

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC02102.jpg

Accumulator
07-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Lots of things you can do on silver (we always have at least four silver vehicles, have for many years). IMO you`d get a *much* better "pop" out of it with different products, but the Meg`s system is OK and it`s hard to do any damage with it.

As you suspect, silver can be tricky to make *really* impressive, but it can be done.

I`ve tried many of the combos out there, and my current fave is 1Z PP, then 1Z MP, then 4-Star UPP. Literally blinding in the sun, but with considerable depth too.

IMO Meg`s #16 looks better on silver than #26, and some people whose opinions I respect have noted that NXT can sorta "white out" some silver paints in certain lighting. This can happen with waxes like Pinnacle`s Souveran and Paste Glaze (my wife calls that the "white effect wax"- I used to use it on her car). But note that SilverBelle04 *likes* those on silver, as do many others. Personal preference and all that.

It depends on the paint, how you prep it, and what *you* like to see. I use different products on all of our silver vehicles and they all look totally different.

If you get the finish prepped well enough (you might need something a bit more aggressive than the Deep Crystal), you can play with different Last Step Products (LSP) to get just the look *you* like.

NY_Joe
07-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by YouGottaBeLeaf

I`ve never detailed a silver car...however check out the BMW by Scottwax in this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41052

I wouldn`t look at that BMW as how your silver car might look. That M3 is not the BMW Titanium Silver. IT isi Silver Grey which is a combo of thiet titanium silver and steel grey.

They car is more of the Steel Grey (dark grey) thatn the silver so the shine and pop will be much better.

Just my .02

Emotion Magnet
07-16-2004, 01:06 PM
well so far thats my plan.. if theres any products i can add in there..let me know where..

Emotion Magnet
07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by travisdecpn

maybe in place of step 3 you should try a couple coats of NXT, it seems to do a nice job on silver as well.

already bought 3 step

BillNorth
07-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Joe,

Good eye! I thought something was off about the colour. It didn`t look like titanium sliver to me. The shot of the rear looked especially dark, like steel grey. now I know why.

Bill.

Emotion Magnet
07-16-2004, 02:15 PM
i also have some paint problems..ill post pics when i get them taken