PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight backing plates

Turbo1002
07-15-2004, 02:54 PM
I just recieved my Harbor freight rotary today and after reading a few threads I know to discard the wool pad and get the yellow, white and maybe black foam from Lake country. My question is should I use the velco backing plate it came with or is that a piece of junk as well? And Should I get the curved pads or the tufted pads? Thanks For all help.

Sal

ACURA95
07-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

My question is should I use the velco backing plate it came with or is that a piece of junk as well?

Im sure the velcro backing plate isnt the best you can get but I use it and it works fine. Ive only used it a couple of times and have used it with an 8" wool pad because my paint was in bad condition.

Originally posted by Turbo

And Should I get the curved pads or the tufted pads?

Sal

I followed with an 8" polishing pad which was curved to get out the hollowgrams the wool pad caused. It did splatter a bit but I think its cause Im new at using it. Definitely tape up your molding.

After that I used the PC for the rest of the job. After using the rotary, the PC is like slow motion. The pad it comes with is not really good for anything. If your paint is in good condition, just go with the foam pads and save your self some cash and keep the backing plate.

~Hope this helps~