PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a car forum

Pages : [1] 2

Scott P
07-15-2004, 08:45 AM
There was a thread in my GP forum about how people there love Liquid Glass, but nobody at Autopia does. I reponded back that Autopians (many of which are pro detailers) basically have higher standards and use other products to get the finish to what they consider perfect. Here is one guy`s response to my statements:

Also, when you talk about "professional" detailers, I assume you mean ones that get paid to detail another person`s car. I have yet to meet anyone in the field of professional automobile detailing (including myself, even though I`m "retired" from it) that uses anything but the cheapest bulk silicone-enriched products they can get their hands on. With the astronomical prices of the "elite" products on the market and the quantity that a professional would need to produce enough volume to make a business worthwhile, he`d go broke in the process, and have a thousand little jars and bottles laying all over the shop.

It led me to think about the percentage of "Professional Detailers" use the bulk products and base income on volume and turn-over. Most people here at Autopia are enthusiasts and part time detailers. We do have a strong contingent of pro detailers that use the higher end products and concentrate on quality over quantity.

What percentage of people that get paid to detail cars use the bulk products and deal in quantity over quality? My guess is somewhere around 90% or so. I`m counting Delta Sonics, dealerships, body shops and corner car wash guys into my equation.

tpgsr
07-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Well, i can say that i purchase bulk QTY. Lets see, 5 gallons invisible glass. gallon jugs of meguiars stuff, and wolfgang. I buy my VM and SSR`s from you, i would say that almost nothing that i get is bulk silicone stuff. I just wouldn`t have it. My prices may reflect that i use really $$ products, but that is what my customers want!

ncal
07-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Most of the detailers around here advertise use turtlewax, dealer polish/wax kits, etc. I don`t think you would go broke using quality products, there are some professional brands that make really good stuff for the price. But once again its the process, not the products. The guys using the cheap stuff are probably not just skimping on the products. I doubt that they do a multiple step polish and waxing or claying for instance.

ZaneO
07-15-2004, 09:45 AM
I use all high quality products and spend less than $3 on each car. Most people on car forums are entirely ignorant.

Scott P
07-15-2004, 10:45 AM
In general though, when thinking of the greater scope of thos considered "detailers", I think the vast, vast majority use the cheaper bulk products.

Think about all the Ziebart, Delta Sonic, Joe`s Car Wash, etc. places. They charge less than $100 per car and have to use the cheapest products. I see a lot more of those around than I do the high end guys.

Scott P
07-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by tpgsr

Well, i can say that i purchase bulk QTY. Lets see, 5 gallons invisible glass. gallon jugs of meguiars stuff, and wolfgang. I buy my VM and SSR`s from you, i would say that almost nothing that i get is bulk silicone stuff. I just wouldn`t have it. My prices may reflect that i use really $$ products, but that is what my customers want!

And you also work your poor employees all night long! No wonder you have to charge so much. :D

tpgsr
07-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that night cost me so much $$, thats ok though.

SVR
07-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Some of the bulk stuff from large manufacturers is not rubbish. For me, Omikron, Magnum Top Gear, JAL Chemicals, Autosmart (made in OZ using UK Tech) and Pacer to name a few manufacture products from 1 Litre - 200 Litres and some of it is world class. Top Gear exports overseas and Pacer sell their own New Zealand brand plus the Malco and Presta labels.

There may be some that is pretty much 20th century technology

I saw some companies products last night on the web that had shampoos that were so high PH`d that you wouldn`t use it on an old truck. Sealants that are over fifteen years old and would be no good for today`s cars.

I must say though that there are alot of so called Pro`s in Australia that are behind the times and only in it because it`s a job. No passion or dedication unlike us.

imported_Intel486
07-15-2004, 11:50 PM
What do you consider high quality products?

A lot of the products I buy are bulk products made for detailers like from BAF/PRO and Stoner. Even if I wasn`t detailing professionally, then I`d want to use these products. I feel they are the best I`ve found and really do love them.

The only products I use that could be considered "elite" are the Poorboy products I have (Spray and Wipe, EX-P, and I buy them in bulk) and P21S. The P21S lasts awhile though so I feel it`s well worth it.

SVR
07-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Intel - your elite considered products are what I use also. I`m awaiting the SSR 2.5, Pro Polish and must get the P21S Paint cleanser and give it a try

What I consider world class

Malco

Presta

Wolfgang

Poorboys World

Stoners

P21 S

Autosmart

Omikron (some of their products)

Top Gear

Pacer

BAF/PRO

Any brand talked about highly on here

QEW

Menzerna

PPG Paints

Farecla

Blue Magic interior cleaners and protectors

Klasse

Auto Glym professional

3M (some products)

What I believe sounds good but can`t try

Top Of The Line

Detail King

Rightlook

freedre
07-16-2004, 08:58 AM
I haven`t `done the math`, but just off the top of my head, you could do a darn fine job of a mid-sized vehicle using Poorboy`s for about $10.

So what`s the problem? How much could you save using something else? Last time I looked, stuff like NuFinish and Turtle Was Supreme (or whatever it`s called) was pretty expensive.

Even if a so called `low end` product was free, all you would be saving is $10. How could that make or break a business; and yeh, I know all about volume.

I think the guy Scott P quoted was talking through his butt.

Scott P
07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
His reply to me later was that when he was in the business, everyone concentrated on volume. The detailing market around him was pretty much on the $75 detail jobs and very few people ever wanted more than that. I also don`t know how long ago this was.

He`s a big fan of Liquid Glass and feels the "vast majority" of products out there are filled with cheap silicones. He seems knowledgeable about detailing, I think he`s just gotten out of touch with the industry.

I know that a lot of great products are available in bulk. Meguiar`s, Poorboy`s, Pro, Stoners, Wolfgang, etc. I think I should have made myself more clear when I used the term bulk. I was generally referring to the products sold in the larger containers that serve as one step products used by lower end detailers. I don`t know specific brands as I use stuff talked about here. I don`t know if Ardex qualifies, but it rings a bell for some odd reason.

What do teh corner car wash guys, Delta Sonic, and other low-cost high volume shops use?

stilez
07-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Scott P

I think he`s just gotten out of touch with the industry.

I don`t know if Ardex qualifies, but it rings a bell for some odd reason.

I have met past detailers that are pretty passionate about the work but have based all their views on products of the past. It`s especially hard trying to get the new products into their views.

As far as Ardex, it`s a VERRRY popular product around here for bulk work. I think there stuff pretty much only comes in gallons or more. The main thing I think that sets us Autopian`s apart from the other guy is how we evaluate the job. Most of us here take time to find the least abrasive polish to do the job and use the sealant/wax that will bring out the attribute the customer (or yourself) wants to see in the paint. The other guys use all the same **** on every car they do.

tpgsr
07-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Delta sonic uses mostly Blue Coral, some Meguiars, and a good ammount of the AutoInt stuff. But there glazes and wax are blue coral, 90% fillers, 5% protection, 5% solvents. Or something horrible like that

stilez
07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by tpgsr

Delta sonic uses mostly Blue Coral, some Meguiars, and a good ammount of the AutoInt stuff. But there glazes and wax are blue coral, 90% fillers, 5% protection, 5% solvents. Or something horrible like that

C`Mon...Gotta cover up the buffer swirls :rofl !!!