PDA

View Full Version : Getting #16 on weekend. Tips on applying?

Pages : [1] 2

rgilbert24
07-14-2004, 11:32 PM
I have a black stratus. Paint in good shape, very little swirls (removed with PC using #80 followed with #9). Have been using Z2 for a couple of years. Very shiny but lacks depth. Based on comments in this forum have ordered #16 and it will be here in a couple of days. Just wondering what the best applicator to use is.

Can you apply with a finishing pad with the PC?

Buffing it out - just use a good quality Microfiber. Also does #16 stain trim?

jfelbab
07-14-2004, 11:45 PM
I usually hand apply #16 when I use it. I use a foam applicator and twist it around quickly in the tin to liquify the paste wax and load the pad. It goes on very easy.

I find that if applied too heavy, and allowed to dry, #16 can be difficult to remove. If this occurs, reapply fresh wax over the area and remove it before it fully dries hard.

In my opinion, #16 works best when applied very thin to a panel or two at a time then removed. I use a 100% cotton terry cloth towel to cut the haze and remove the majority of the wax and then follow up with a MF to finish off.

imported_SouthernZ71
07-14-2004, 11:47 PM
1) Apply very thin. I generally go over the whole vehicle, wait a few and remove. Others apply in a Wipe On Wipe Off method for each panel, saying it makes it easier to remove. I`ve tried both ways and it seems the same, so I stick with doing the whole vehicle first... Just remember to go thin and you won`t have any problems...

2) Never tried using a PC, seems like it would waste some product

3) MF for removal. If it`s not doing the job you probably went on to thick and might want to use a terry... No problems with staining...

canisestinvia
07-14-2004, 11:50 PM
agreed. when it`s fully dried, it can be a pain to remove. i also put it on too thick. i think that`s how i put some swirls into my paint, cuz i had to work the towel so hard to remove the #16. stupid me.

tb's type-s
07-15-2004, 12:55 AM
In my experiance, I have found that #16 is easiest to use when applied to one or possibly two pannels at a time then removed with a mf. My dad decided he was going to throw a coat of wax on his new black 530i and saw my #16 and figured he would try it. About 3 hours after he began this process I stepped into our garage and observed him being extremely irritated because the #16 molded to the paint like concrete. Many people have had similar experiances with #16 and I suggest you avoid the possible problems with extreme difficulty in removal of the product by applying one panel at a time.

Good luck

-Tony

dgraupman
07-15-2004, 06:20 AM
I`ve had good luck applying #16 with a PC and a LC white pad (don`t have the grey ones). I butter the pad with #16 using a small plastic spatula, and set the speed around 3.5 - 4. The PC applies the wax thinly and evenly. I let it haze over (15-20 mins depending on humidity), then wipe off with a terry towel on my first pass, then buff with a good MF. This process makes #16 easy to use, IMHO. I`ve never experienced having the wax weld to the paint. I tend to apply it too thick if I do it by hand.

ALAN81
07-15-2004, 10:04 AM
2 panels at a time and apply VERY THIN dont let it complete dry then wipe away and buff lightly

rgilbert24
07-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the great tips. Will make the weekend task go smoother with better results. Love this forum - everyone is willing to take them time to pass on their experience and tips!

ALAN81
07-16-2004, 05:04 AM
rgilbert.........that is because we are all sick

Glossequation
07-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by tb`s type-s

In my experiance, I have found that #16 is easiest to use when applied to one or possibly two pannels at a time then removed with a mf. Many people have had similar experiances with #16 and I suggest you avoid the possible problems with extreme difficulty in removal of the product by applying one panel at a time.

Good luck

-Tony

Agreed :xyxthumbs . I usually do the front fenders and hood then remove with a MF. Then 4 doors (on my Denali) and remove, then rear quarters and tailgate and remove, then roof and remove and finally bumpers and rockers and remove. It does not take long for it to haze when put on thin.

I`ll just echo what others have said, apply it thin--I always use the Viking blue foam apps with the handle, and twist it in the tin about 2 times. Giving the app a shot of QD doesn`t hurt either.

It`s awesome stuff, definitely my favorite...:up

04BlackAV
07-16-2004, 11:24 AM
I just did the Jetta this morning with #16 again.This time I thought I`d do the whole car first before wiping it off.I always put it on thin and I always did the 2 or 3 panels then wipe off.But I had no problem removing the #16 doing the whole car first.It wiped off as easy as doing it the other way.I`m surprised people have trouble removing it this way.:nixweiss

Prometheus
07-16-2004, 11:45 AM
I usually do a panel (like trunk), do a panel (drivers door), wiper first panel (trunk) do another (passenger door) wipe 2nd panel (drivers door) and continue like that. I apply it SUPER thin though. Almost have to do 2 coats when you apply it as thin as i do. Goes on and off really nice though

Accumulator
07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
A good way to keep from applying too much is to squeeze as much wax out of the applicator as possible by pressing it against the rim of the can.

When applying by PC/Cyclo (my favorite method with #16, *by far*) I just rub the wax into the finishing pad then try to scrape it back off.

Regarding the trim, I wipe-on-wipe-off on trim and it doesn`t stain *for me*, but YMMV. If you get it on the trim, don`t let it set up, wipe it off right away.

Cam
07-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by blackcaraddict

I always use the Viking blue foam apps with the handle, and twist it in the tin about 2 times.

Can anybody point me to a vendor for this applicator?

04BlackAV
07-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Cam...click on the Link. (http://autopia-carcare.com/applicators.html)

I got some from Autopia Car Care when I ordered some stuff from them.