PDA

View Full Version : crusted baking soda...

imported_SouthernZ71
07-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Got a call from a guy that poured a box of baking soda on his carpet to absorb some water...I didn`t ask. Anyhow he left it sit for a few weeks as he was busy and didn`t have time to clean it up. His words, "feels like little rocks embedded in the carpet!"

I`m going friday for an estimate, just wanted to see what options are out there? I was thinking soaking it in water or maybe some vinegar?

Thanks

Accumulator
07-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah, hot water and some (preferably low-odor) vinegar oughta do it.

Jesstzn
07-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Vinegar on it may make it foam .. we used to do that as kids .. never mind not a good thing to post here .. anyway try a little vinegar on baking soda in a bowl at home first. You may get a reaction.

Lowejackson
07-15-2004, 12:24 PM
I have seen the recommendations for baking soda on this forum. Very good for removing smells if my memory is correct.

By the way, baking soda and vinegar make excellent waste pipe cleaners for sinks, baths etc

imported_SouthernZ71
07-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Ended up there today and brought some supplies. Tried vinegar and that made it foam like crazy (like the Volcanos we all used to build), but it didn`t soften it enough to remove. I never realized BS could form into a rock like substance...

I only spent about 10 mins. today. Tomorrow I`m going for the detail and will get some pictures...

Thanks

Jesstzn
07-15-2004, 04:05 PM
If you have a shop vac could you lay wet towels over it to soften it then once its softened wet it more and vac it?

Lowejackson
07-16-2004, 12:21 PM
I would water down the mixture of soda and vinegar, this creates a strong solution, which is why it is a good drain cleaner. I have no idea what this will do to carpet but it may not be good.

imported_SouthernZ71
07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Just finished up (spent about 2 hours on the carpet alone). Hardly got any of it removed. Tried soaking it w/wo towel, brushing and using the shop vac. Some of it came out, but not much. Waiting for my batts. to charge so I can get the pictures off.....damn firewire broke. Before I started I informed him of what to expect, so he wasn`t let down.