PDA

View Full Version : Random orbit sander

Silli
07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
I know that most of you PC owners don`t even look at any other equipment but for some of us (europeans) the pc is wery much out of reach. The PC does not have the required CE-approval and therefore it has not been converted to 230V/50Hz. Outruled for me.

I have been looking for a suitable orbital sander that would have an adjustable speed that goes low enough for polishing and has a motor strong enough.

I found it. A cheap 400W Nikkon orbital sander that has a speed ranging between 4000 and 12000orbits/minute (unloaded). When it has some work to do it can be slow enough for me to count the orbits in my head, that`s slow .. I think :)

I allso bought a range of pads from orange and yellow cutting pads to a white polishing pad and a black finishing pad.

I`ll have to see how it works this weekend when I should detail my fathers Grand Cherokee.

If it works, then I see no reason it wouldn`t be an adequate and cheap alternative for the PC for us europeans.

I allso found a 1Z dealer in Finland and bought some Lederpflege, tieferpflege and Raindance Shampoo (which I suppose is the same as perls shampoo?) and the leder- and tieferpflege are the pest products in their class I have tried yet. Top notch stuff.

What polish/compound (1z) would you guys recommend for a moderatelly swirled finish? And for a neglected and heavily swirled finish? Which pads to use?

Sorry for the poor picture.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/16939nikkon.jpg

regards,

Silli

togwt
07-14-2004, 12:56 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The German version of PC’s random orbital buffer is named ‘Flex’ just a thought (I did have dist. name/number but have since lost it) you could try an Internet search

Foam pad recommendations would be dependant upon size of machine backing plate (Sonus is a good pad, buy online here (Autopia)

For machine polish, as you can obtain IZ, Ultra Paint Polish, Paint Polish, Metallic Polish or buy online here (Autopia) Einzett polishes can be applied by hand, or machine polisher. Application of the Ultra Paint Polish you will obtain the best results with a high speed rotary, as heat is required to soften the paint

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *