PDA

View Full Version : Best wax for old ss paint?

audio1der
07-14-2004, 09:53 AM
I`ve already done some work on the (soon to be) father in law`s `69 Ford Fairlane 500 including a wash/clay/rinse/dry/SMR/pre-wax cleaner/sealer & glaze/Meg`s GC.

I was wondering if old, neglected ss paint with no apparent clear coat would respond better to a different system or wax?

I was going to try #26 liquid next time.

BTW- the car is red, and in driveable, but fairly rough shape. It`s just for fun and won`t be receing a real resto. for some time.

TIA,

Audio

:wavey

Accumulator
07-14-2004, 11:01 AM
On cars like that, I like to use an "old school" approach, with a glaze like Meg`s #3/#5/#7/#80 topped with #16. The #16 wouldn`t mess with your sealer/glaze as much as the GC and would give a different look (and probably more protection, too).

audio1der
07-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

I`ll try #7/#26 paste soon.:bounce

DETAILKING
07-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Dupont #7, then nu finish, and a carnuba topper on my old blazer which had single stage paint, and the shine was amazing. The olds paints can handle abrasives better and really get a polished shine on them.

I would polish it out, and then use some Z3 for non clearcoated paints.....

Accumulator
07-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by DETAILKING

[I used to use] Dupont #7.....

Heh heh, *that* takes me back a few years! I used that stuff too. Yeah, some SS paint can be a real pleasure to work by hand.

tguil
07-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Heh heh, *that* takes me back a few years! I used that stuff too. Yeah, some SS paint can be a real pleasure to work by hand.

It can be a real pleasure until you see the grey primer coming through. Been there, done that several times. And I "done it`" by hand. :D

Tom :cool: