PDA

View Full Version : Paint Damage

hoffmanb
07-14-2004, 09:41 AM
I have a black Lexus LS430 and I went out of town on business for 3 weeks. In which time my wife drove the car. When I got back I washed the car,and now I seem to have these pincky finger tip size white circles on my hood and trunk. What is it? What can I do? I feel like I have tried everything but with no luck. Help!!!

Accumulator
07-14-2004, 10:54 AM
hofffmanb- Welcome to Autopia! It`s hard to say what to do without seeing the problem. Is it something *on* the paint or something that`s "eaten" *into* the paint?

What have you tried so far (clay/paint cleaner/polish)?

hoffmanb
07-14-2004, 11:39 AM
It looks like it something thats eaten into the paint

togwt
07-14-2004, 01:21 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Water Spots:

Water spots on the paint film surface are caused by industrial fallout, high calcium content water or the water from a light summer shower that that dries on the surface leaving a calcium / sodium deposit. If left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a circular mark.

These can usually be removed by using detailer’s clay to remove any hardened deposits, and then using a solvent type (Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner or Klasse All-In-One) cleaner. If the surface has been etched then a machine polish should be used to level the paints surface and a surface protection reapplied

Removing water spots from paint film surface-

· Use detailing clay to remove any ‘hard’ granules

· Use water/distilled white vinegar or a 5:1 Isopropyl Alcohol solution (adjust ratio as required) or try equal parts distilled white vinegar, Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water to dissolve the alkaline-based mineral water deposits.

· Use a clean spray bottle and a 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the surface

· Wipe off any residue from and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

· If any ‘water spots’ remain apply Distilled White Vinegar un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on the surface.

· Wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

· Inspect for smoothness and repeat if necessary.

· If this does not remove the ‘water spots’ use a machine polish

(For removal of water spots from glass see section 7)

The only constant is; Always use the least aggressive product first, evaluate the surface, then only if necessary, ‘step-up’ to a more abrasive products.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

hoffmanb
07-15-2004, 09:01 AM
I have tried polish, cleaner, clay bar, isopropyl alcohol, scratch remover, and denatured alcohol.

Accumulator
07-15-2004, 11:15 AM
hoffmanb- If those approaches didn`t work you should probably try a mildly abrasive polish. Many to choose from, I`m partial to stuff from 1Z and 3M. I`m assuming you tried the vinegar pre TOGWT`s suggestion.

There are also some chemical (as opposed to abrasive) paint cleaners from Meg`s and others, but I forget their names.