PDA

View Full Version : Paint question....any experts (or professional painters), please help me!

Nicky Pass
07-13-2004, 08:03 PM
I went to the dealer with my new Cobra (2 months old) and the had to fis my radiator hose clamp....then I noticed a small hairline crack about 4 inches long...parrallel with the front of the hood. The dealer saw it and said that they`d fix it. The hood is fiber glass if that means anything.....

My questions:

1.) Will they have to blend into the top of the fender (I hope not)

2.) Can they sand the crack in the paint and blend it in with the rest of the hood?

Now I have to wait until the 26th of July to get it fixed....and its gonna be gone for 2 days....this friggin` sucks!!!!:angry :angry :angry

Accumulator
07-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Nicky Pass

My questions:

1.) Will they have to blend into the top of the fender (I hope not)

2.) Can they sand the crack in the paint and blend it in with the rest of the hood?

Sheesh, I`ll just *bet* you`re angry!

1) Depends on the shop/painter/paint. If they do reshoot the whole hood, it`s often a good idea to let them blend into the fender. I have cars done both ways, and the repair on the blended car is harder to spot.

2) Depends on the extent of the problem and how the painter does things. I wouldn`t try to tell the guy how to do his job; if I wasn`t happy with how he was gonna do it, I`d also talk with another shop. But yeah, it can sometimes be done, but whether it`ll be obvious or not, well, :nixweiss If you think about it, blending a spot-repair isn`t too different from blending a repair into an adjacent panel.

Nicky Pass
07-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Angry....the service manager was saying..."please calm down...I understand you`re upset, we`ll take care of it....it will look like it was never touched!"

Amkeer
07-15-2004, 06:43 AM
I would have them replace the hood.

Nicky Pass
07-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Even if they replace the hood....they still have to paint it. They said if the actual hood (not the paint) is cracked....I get a new hood, but the body shop manager said it looks like its just the paint.

Accumulator
07-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Oh, it just occurred to me that maybe the crack came from a careless person closing the hood incorrectly...

Yeah, either way the paint issue is about the same, and a new hood might raise other issues (fit, quality of replacement, etc. etc.).

Just talk with the guy who`ll actually be doing the work and if anything he says sounds hinky then tell him you have to think on it and check back with us. Plenty of people here with a lot of experience with this sort of thing (unfortunately ;) ).

Nicky Pass
07-15-2004, 12:41 PM
I`m sure everything will be fine....**** happens!