PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Aluminum wheels with clearcoat

Pages : [1] 2

sentax
07-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Hello,

Recently my car was in the bodyshop for some body work, and when the detail guy was working on the rims he used mother billet polish on my clearcoated lip. Now, the lip has a haze that just wont come off. I`ve tried rubbing compound, polishing compound, and some glaze/polish but nothing seems to be working. Is there anything I can do to restore the shine short of having the entire rim high-polished?

imported_edschwab1
07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Yes, have the body shop purchase new rims for your car.

What compounds and polishes have you used?

What was the application method?

Eric

sentax
07-13-2004, 04:55 PM
I used some turtlewax polishing compound and rubbing compound from the local auto store, with hand application. I want to sell the rims, as I`m selling the car, but if there`s nothing I can do about it then the bodyshop will just have to foot the bill.

imported_edschwab1
07-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by sentax

I used some turtlewax polishing compound and rubbing compound from the local auto store, with hand application. I want to sell the rims, as I`m selling the car, but if there`s nothing I can do about it then the bodyshop will just have to foot the bill.

What other products do you have? Part of the hazing could be caused by the TW RC and TW PC which are very harsh products.

Eric

imported_memnuts
07-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Have the SHOP use some dedicated aluminum polish and see if that works. Then have them re-clearcoat them (in order not to pass on this maintenence problem to the next owner).

If not, they owe you some wheels.

imported_edschwab1
07-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Do you have any pictures of the damage to clearcoated lip?

Eric

sentax
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM
I will take some pics, thanks for the help.

sentax
07-13-2004, 09:16 PM

sentax
07-13-2004, 09:18 PM

forrest@mothers
07-13-2004, 10:03 PM
That doesn`t appear to the scratch pattern of Billet Polish, unless it was used with a very dirty rag. It`s a very mild product, and used on a clear coated wheel, wouldn`t cause damage to the wheel`s clear coat without some serious rubbing.

imported_edschwab1
07-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Sentax,

You could try using Mother clear coat wheel polish or Meg`s #9 or Meg`s ScratchX all products should be available at Pep Boys or Auto Zone type stores. From the picture it looks like a damage was caused by the TW products. I think the wheels look worse than what they really are.

Forrest,

Would Mothers Scratch remover work on these wheels?

By the way, nice forum you have on the Mother`s Website. I should join, I have been reading since March.

Eric

forrest@mothers
07-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Eric - I wouldn`t use Scratch Remover. Personally, I think the finish has been compromised, and anything will only make it worse than it is now. It needs buffing our professionally.

Thanks for the forum comment - it`s small, but growing slowly. We sure do get some interesting questions.

sentax
07-14-2004, 12:16 AM
I knew it was the bodyshop`s fault from the start :p

imported_aqua
07-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Well , on that situation you do not have many to lose. So I will recommend something tough.

Just wetsand it with 2000 grit, then light compound, polish and wax. Just the strongest complete process.

Do it in one section first to see what happen, then go with the rest.

sentax
07-15-2004, 01:01 AM
by polish i`m assuming metal polish as the clearcoat should be gone right?

I took it to the bodyshop and they said they only applied the metal polish to a part of the wheel, not the whole wheel. Using some 3M rubbing compound, i was able to restore some of the original shine, but obviously not as much as the wetsanding would provide. Thanks for the insight.