PDA

View Full Version : PC products and use

FryeBaby
07-13-2004, 02:15 PM
I just purchased a PC and I am excited to try it out. I have read Autopia`s guide on using a PC and the PC guide that was posted at CMA. I`ve read all I could find on the PC and pads and I still have some questions. I have decided to buy LC pads from the company. I will buy either 2 or 3 of each kind. What I have trouble with what all can you use the PC for. I know it is great for polishes to take out problems, but what about waxes. Do most Autopians use the PC to apply and remove wax? I have been doing everything by hand and I don`t mind doing some steps by hand but I want to do it the best way not the easy way. If you use it to apply and remove wax what is the correct way? I use PS21 or Souveran wax. Do you apply to a panel and then have to change pads or put on a MF bonnet to buff it out? These are the steps and products I will be using. I have been using 1Z polishes by hand and I will continue to use them with the PC but I am also going to try the IP and FP polishes now that I have a PC. Here are my steps if anyone will give me advice on what can be done with the PC: 1. Wash X2 with PS21 or Pearl

2. Clay with Blackfire Kit

3. Polish with 1Z polishes or Menzerna polishes

4. AIO

5. SG X2 or 3

6. PS21 or Souveran wax

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. It will be the first time with a PC and I want to do it right with as few mistakes as possible. Sorry for long post and all the questions. Wes

FryeBaby
07-14-2004, 07:14 AM
I know this was a long post and alot of questions but can anyone give me some help and some advice on PC use especially with waxes. Thanks, Wes

Glossequation
07-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by fryebaby

I know this was a long post and alot of questions but can anyone give me some help and some advice on PC use especially with waxes. Thanks, Wes

Since I use a multi-step process (as most here do), I apply wax by hand, because I feel I get better control. I buff with a MF--usually the Turtle Wax ones--which does a real nice job. With polishing, which is real concentrated, detailed work where I need to remove defects, the machine is superior in that I don`t get tired, so the work stays consistent.

Remember, when your surface is properly prepped, waxing should be a real breeze.

s2skimon
07-14-2004, 08:18 AM
I apply SMR stuff with dedicated Orange Pads

I apply my Pre SG with a dedicated white pad

I apply my SG with black pad

I remove with my MF bonnets, then MF towel by hand

However, I suggest practicing on an older car that you really don`t care how the finish turns out. Or go to an autowreck and buy a door or hood off some scrap

andriver
07-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Your regimen sounds fine. I like applying sealant by hand. I suppose you could apply it with a PC.

togwt
07-14-2004, 08:24 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

PC and Foam Pad Application:

Cutting Pad (* Yellow)- a firm, high-density foam with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with Machine Polish, Swirl Mark Remover, Autoglym Cutting Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action. For use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Gray)-an ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3-4)

Levelling Pad (Wool):

Are made from ¾-ich, 100% natural lambs wool (do not use synthetic wool) are usually used to level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas (diamond plate, Aluminum trailers, etc.)

*The colour identification are those used by Classic Motoring Accessories (CMA)

All manufactures of foam pads use a different colour to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads.

Wool pads used wet or dry are very aggressive and have the greatest cutting ability and they also produce the most paint surface ‘haze’

Buffing Bonnet:

Buffing bonnets can be used after polishing to remove light polish residues. Then use a Microfiber Buffing Bonnet over a foam / wool pad to produce a high gloss finish. This doesn’t load-up the bonnet with residue and the bonnet will need to be washed less often. These bonnets are a quick and effortless way to remove single-step products like Klasse All-In-One and Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

They also have just the right texture to apply a super thin layer of polymer sealants like, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection or Zanio which require a very light coating for easy removal and best gloss.

For safety reasons, Porter Cable recommends that the machine not be operated unless the pad or bonnet is flat on the work surface. This means both starting and stopping the machine while it is flat on the vehicle’s surface

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

FryeBaby
07-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks blackcaraddict, montoya, andriver, and TOGWT. Your PC, detailing and pad advice will give me a good start the first time I use my PC. Thanks again, Wes