PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Prepsol?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill D
07-12-2004, 07:22 PM
I`m having trouble finding Prepsol or a similar product locally. I assume it packs a bit more punch than using isopropyl alcohol, so I think it would be a good idea to have it on hand when needed.

I know TOL`s product called Klean has been mentioned here and seems to be a similar product. Other than that, are there any other substitutes for Prepsol? Thanks!

tom p.
07-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Bill, I`m not sure where you`re located but Autozone sells the "Klean-Strip" product line and they have Prep-All (P/N QSW362) which is a wax and grease remover.

I also have a BASF product called #901 Pre-Paint cleaner that is very good....should be able to find products like this at any body shop supply store.

what are you using these products for?

Bill D
07-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Tom,

I have seen the Klean-Strip line and will look specifically for Prep-All. Thanks :xyxthumbs

Wanted to have this product on hand for instances where I would need total wax/sealant removal without the use of a polish, for example, chip repair. Maybe just straight isopropoyl alcohol is more than sufficient?

tom p.
07-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Bill, I`m certain the "prepsol" type of product is going to be the most effective.

Bill D
07-12-2004, 07:53 PM
I`ll be on the look out for the Klean-Strip then, thanks again!

Jesstzn
07-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Bill .. any bodyshop supply place will have PrepSol or a branded equivalent .. but I lean to IPA first ..

Bill D
07-13-2004, 08:22 AM
That`s the situation, I don`t see prepsol around here unless maybe it was out of stock. I will look for that Klean-Strip product

DaGonz
07-13-2004, 09:55 AM
The local Finishmaster franchise sells a product called "Solv-All", made by CAR products in Springfield, MA

Basically, the same as Prep-sol at a lower cost!

SpoiledMan
07-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Would Meguiar`s Body Solvent also be a replacement?

imported_NHBFAN
07-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by tom p.

they have Prep-All (P/N QSW362) which is a wax and grease remover.

tom p.,

Have you used Prep-All? Do you recommend it?

I`m looking for something to remove polish (DACP & #82) from bug etching damage.

Bill D
07-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Got the Prep-All today. The product inventory grows :shocked Thanks for the referal :up

mystickid
05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
I went to my local Finishmaster here in chicago and they did have Prep-sol.

It was for $21.00 in a fairly large can similar to the shape of the container of Klasse AIO (Squarish Box).

That was abit expensive for my need so, I went to Wal-mart and bought some Klear Stripâ„¢ Prep-All for only $3 and some cents.

Bill D
05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I`ve been using it for a while but I want to stray away from it as it contains toulene, even though the percentage is small.

mystickid
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Now, i`m reconsidering... I haven`t used the prep-all yet but is Prep-sol really worth getting over all other products like Prep-All and the ISA/water solution???

Bill D
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
I found Prepsol to be too much of a PITA to find so I might go with Valugard New Car Prep. I use such solvents to completely remove LSPS before polishing. Sometimes I might use them in between polishing step alternating with the IPA mix.

When you do use the IPA do allow it to sit on the paint for a bit. My understanding is a simple wipe on, wipe off might not be enough to totally remove the film,oil, etc.