PDA

View Full Version : single stage paint...do i need to clay it?

canisestinvia
07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I worked on an 80s merc convertible this weekend that was severely oxidized. It was very chalky and the car looked pink rather than red. This was my first time really detailing a non-clearcoated car.

I clayed it, but after I began polishing, I questioned whehter that was a necessary step. A lot of paint came off during the polishing stage, so I`m thinking the stuff I took off with the clay would have came off with the paint as well. True?

Accumulator
07-12-2004, 11:48 AM
You were smart to clay the finish before polishing (ss, b/c, the type of paint doesn`t matter). They are two different processes for two different problems. Claying "pulls out" contamination that polish might otherwise just "smooth over". Think of claying as being like removing a splinter from your skin, whereas polishing is like smoothing rough skin with a pumice stone. You wouldn`t want to just leave the splinter in there.

canisestinvia
07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Yeh, but are contaminents digging in like splinters? The polishing step was really pulling the top layer of paint off. I would need to wash my pad after 2 panels because of all the buildup. Aren`t the contaminents sitting on top of the paint, the same paint that`s practically being stripped with my pc?

Accumulator
07-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Nope, it`s really not accompplishing the same thing and yeah, the conaminants really are "stuck" in the paint much like splinters. "Rail dust" and its close cousin "brake rotor shavings" are perfect examples.

And think of it this way- if there`s a very abrasive piece of contamination in/on the paint (and you *don`t* pull it off/out with clay), it can get stuck to the pad and induce marring.

Heh heh, if I didn`t *need* to clay my SS cars before I polish, I`d save myself the work!

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

You were smart to clay the finish before polishing (ss, b/c, the type of paint doesn`t matter). They are two different processes for two different problems. Claying "pulls out" contamination that polish might otherwise just "smooth over". Think of claying as being like removing a splinter from your skin, whereas polishing is like smoothing rough skin with a pumice stone. You wouldn`t want to just leave the splinter in there.

I did my friend`s 14 year old neglected, white Celica the other day. I washed it then spent literally hours claying it because the paint was like a sponge and had actually absorbed dirt which washing didn`t remove. I could see the dirt that the clay was removing because it was collecting in the quick detailer. I then went to DACP and (even after that ridiculously long claying fiasco) dirt was STILL being pulled out of the paint! It was astonishing!

Didn`t take any pictures :(

canisestinvia
07-14-2004, 09:41 AM
sounds good guys. thanks for the info