PDA

View Full Version : Pls Recommend 12V Orbital Polisher...

Pages : [1] 2

BlackHowling
07-11-2004, 12:51 PM
hi guys,

whats the best orbital polisher that you can plug into the car`s cigarette lighter?

thanks.

Scottwax
07-11-2004, 03:18 PM
None. Best bet is a Porter Cable and a power inverter. A PC doesn`t draw a huge amount of power.

Seriously, any cheapie 12V buffer isn`t going be strong enough to remove imperfections. Maybe adequate to apply wax though.

Lowejackson
07-11-2004, 04:01 PM
What do you want this polisher to do?

dcswd
07-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I dont think ive seen any that plug into a cigarate lighter... so you would probably need an inverter of some sort. There are cordless orbitals that look decent. Those might fit what you need done. They probably arent any good for swirl removal, but would work wonders for applying wax.

BlackHowling
07-11-2004, 07:57 PM
hi guys,

the reason i asked is i have a car that is parked in a parking garage where there is no power outlet nearby. that`s the only place that i can do the waxing. my car is new and i don`t think i need a powerful polisher to remove swirl marks yet.

i know the porter cable is THE polisher of choice but it doesn`t suit my present need.

any recommendation is highly appreciated.

thanks again.

imported_Blake
07-11-2004, 08:05 PM
I`d suggest you save your money. In time you will want a good orbital machine and you will have found that the 12V model just didn`t have the ability to do the job. If your paint is new then do the polishing and waxing by hand. There are lots of members on this board that don`t own DA polishers.

In time you can add a Porter Cable to your equipment.

ncal
07-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Yes, if your vehicle is in good condition and you maintain it you will be fine.

Jesstzn
07-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by BlackHowling

hi guys,

the reason i asked is i have a car that is parked in a parking garage where there is no power outlet nearby. that`s the only place that i can do the waxing. my car is new and i don`t think i need a powerful polisher to remove swirl marks yet.

i know the porter cable is THE polisher of choice but it doesn`t suit my present need.

any recommendation is highly appreciated.

thanks again.

I have the one in the site I`m posting below .. With the 4" pads that come with it and DACP or #9 and a some patience I have removed the odd minor scratch and I have removed all the swirls off mine with it ,.. but like I say .. its very slow but effective. No substitute for the PC .. but it did get me by till I got mine

The one I bought had 2 batteries in the kit. .. Now that I have my PC I use it for wax application.

Its a Simoniz brand but is avalalble from Wen etc.

Buffer (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2194951&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348027&bmUID=1089602131481&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442708749&assortment=primary)

3Dog
07-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Here, less money

http://ss02.lynk-systems.com/justdetails/html/page4.html

Jesstzn
07-12-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 3Dog

Here, less money

http://ss02.lynk-systems.com/justdetails/html/page4.html

Basically the one I was talking about .. less money because it is US funds and only 1 battery .. But should get by in a pinch.

former86camaro
07-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Here is what I got from Sears some time ago...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00910720000

Jesstzn
07-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Basically the one I was talking about .. less money because it is US funds and only 1 battery .. But should get by in a pinch.

These also accept the CMA pads

BlackHowling
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

None. Best bet is a Porter Cable and a power inverter. A PC doesn`t draw a huge amount of power.

Seriously, any cheapie 12V buffer isn`t going be strong enough to remove imperfections. Maybe adequate to apply wax though.

hey scottwax, great idea in using a power inverter. how many watts does a PC require? the power inverter needs to be able to handle that right? i looked at the PC manufacturer site but it didn`t mention how many watts.

thank you everybody for your inputs. i really appreciate it.

this is a terrific site with terrific people!

keep it up.

Jesstzn
07-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by BlackHowling

hey scottwax, great idea in using a power inverter. how many watts does a PC require? the power inverter needs to be able to handle that right? i looked at the PC manufacturer site but it didn`t mention how many watts.

Name plate says 3.7 Amp .. whats that 444 watts? I can`t remember the factor. 3.7 x 120 ??

jimmybuffit
07-13-2004, 04:10 AM
If you simply want to apply and remove wax, I think a machine is overkill.

The really nice carnaubas (Souveran, S100, P21S, etc.) go on like butter, and come off even easier. I can probably have the car done, by the time I get a tool, pad, and cord ready to go (and put away).

Plus, they tell me it helps you to bond with your car...

Jim