PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Clay Lube.

Pages : [1] 2

MongooseGA
07-10-2004, 06:56 PM
i have searched, but its a pretty broad topic, and i dont have time to look carefully becaus ei have a job tomorrow. :D

i just finished claying the car (wow, that was cool!) but i guess i used up a majority of the QD that came in the kit (Mother`s kit). my question is can i use a different QD to lube the clay instead of buying a whole new kit? i dont believe the store i bought it at sells the specific Spray by itself. (i think its called showtime?).

i have a bottle of eagle one wet. can this work for the clay, as its still pretty clean?

thanks in advance,

G.A.

NozeBleedSpeed
07-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Yes most QDs will work fine. I prefer to clay while washing. Soap and water makes a good lubricant for clay.

Dalight
07-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Yes most QDs will work fine. I prefer to clay while washing. Soap and water makes a good lubricant for clay.

Hmmm...I`d never thought of that, great idea. Would you say it`s a perfect substitute for using QD?

jimmybuffit
07-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Soap and water will degrade the clay faster, but it certainly works...

Clay is pretty safe, I can`t think of a situation where you could harm the finish.

Certainly any QD would be better.

Good Luck!

Jim

a.k.a. Patrick
07-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Works well with plain ol water too......I clay during the rinse cycle....

MongooseGA
07-10-2004, 08:32 PM
thanks for the replies.

i had heard that soapy water works well, as long as its nice an soapy/slippery. i only questioned it because the directions said in big bold letters "NOT WATER" . maybe its just Mother`s way of being sure you buy more of their product.

thanks alot.

imported_eggroll
07-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I think they mean not to use water only.

chris0626
07-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Just a word to the wise ... When I was in your position a couple of years ago as a newbie, I thought, "Heck, yeah, I`ll mix up my own clay lube and save $$$" So I did. And the clay disintegrated within minutes. It was a huge mess and waste of my clay. Problem was, I did not get a "recipe" for the proportion of soap-to-water, so it was too soapy and ruined the clay bar.

So ... can somebody refresh our minds on the proportion of soap to water for a DIY clay lube? Somehow, I`m thinking it`s 1:16. Is that about right? :nixweiss

hondaguy2582
07-11-2004, 12:20 AM
If anything, mix a ratio of qd to distilled water. I see no point in using straight qd when plain ol water works for lubrication too. The lil qd added will just provide a lil more then enough lubrication.

And yes, soap and water worked good for me and did not degrade my bar.

du3ce
07-11-2004, 01:44 AM
yea i tried mixing water and soap with the mothers clay bar, it fell apart 5 minutes later

mnbv
07-11-2004, 02:48 AM
"a ratio of qd to water"

?:?

????

Lowejackson
07-11-2004, 04:52 AM
I have been using the normal concentrate of shampoo and water as a lubricant with 3M clay. Works well for me and no problems with the clay breaking up.

CostaK
07-11-2004, 05:10 AM
I have some 3M clay also and the direction indicate that it should be used with a mix of water and 3m car wash. No mention of lubricants, qd etc.

WAX2MUCH
07-11-2004, 02:56 PM
I mix 1/2 cap (about 1/4 oz. car soap) with 4 oz. QD and 12 oz. water to get a 16 oz. lube mix. I store the clay in a 50:50 mix of QD and water....no soap for storage.

Zaino recommends 1/2 cap Z7 soap and 12 oz. water.

Dinzdale40
07-11-2004, 03:54 PM
I just put a couple drops of gold class wash into a sprayer.....fill it up with water and use it.....I like it cause it is slippery and stays that way for longer than any lube i`ve used...