PDA

View Full Version : AutoSkin?

Pages : [1] 2

6cyl's_of_fury
07-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Not sure if you have this or an alternative in the US, but......

Its an interesting product I stumbled across here in Australia. While not a "detailing" product as such, this may be a good temporary protection product for highway trips, offroading etc to protect that "Autopian finsh" :cool:

Autoskin (http://www.autoskin.com.au/index.htm)

Bill D
07-10-2004, 05:51 PM
WOW!

I`m sure glad I held onto several paint rollers here :D

Appears you still may have to use a lot of product to apply full frontal protection even if an application lasts 4-6 weeks. I`m not certain how many applications of frontal protection a 1 liter bottle gives you, it`s most certainly not cheap either :shocked:

Lowejackson
07-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Interesting

Bill D
07-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Prices are in Austrailian dollars only I assume ?? So for example, $50 Australian= $36.13 US

SilverLexus
07-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Very interesting...wonder if there is a dealer in the US...

vinnymack
07-11-2004, 05:57 PM
great for off road cars...has anyone tried this yet?

Bill D
07-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Couldn`t one in the US order directly from the Australian website?

Bill D
07-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Well, I emailed them, here`s what they say:

We will soon be looking for a large company to take on the USA

distributorship for our products.

In the meantime you may order direct from us for the following prices

1 x 20 litre drum AUD$20.00 per litre plus Freight

24 x20 litre drums AUD$17 per litre plus freight

32 x20 litre drums AUD$16 per litre plus freight

96 x20 litre drums AUD$13 per litre plus freight

Box loads of smaller prepacked containers also available for direct

order.

For any further questions please contact us:

Regards

Steve Reilly

General Manager

Bill D
09-27-2004, 10:21 AM
I understand a US online vendor sells this stuff now :up ( I`d have to search, it was mentioned who, cant find it)

I wonder if this product could be the answer to eliminating worries about your car getting marred by non Autopians techs when it has to go in for service. Sure you could always meet with them and instruct them how to open doors, insist on no prints on the paint,etc, etc but having Autoskin over all the vital parts most likely to get marred during servicing just might do the trick :)

And, of course, absolutely,postively, no washing. As always, get that in writing from the service manager.

What do you think?

Bobby G
09-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Interesting idea for:

Off-road fun

Long road trips when you don`t use a bra/mask

AutoX and other road events

Bill D
09-27-2004, 10:51 AM
David,

Not for relieving service visit anxiety ?

JRB350
09-28-2004, 11:25 AM
I`m pretty sure this is the same stuff that we used to use to protect the windows while building a house. (I`m in Aus). We were looking for a way to stop the scratches we were getting while cleaning off the builders rubbish.

I thought of it like a silicone. You would spray it on and it would dry into a thin protective layer. You could tell which windows had been sprayed as they were foggy, unclear and had `runs` where the product had dripped. We stopped using it because it wouldn`t stop the scratching from the mortar that would get stuck on the windows and then wiped across the glass. It rinsed off quite easily though.

I wouldn`t want to put it on before a service because I like my car to look as good or better than the showroom cars when it goes back. You`ve just got to make sure the service people know you and what you expect so you don`t have to explain all the time. I wouldn`t use Autoskin on the road either for the same reason I don`t use those black `car bras`. What`s the purpose of having a nice looking car if it`s hidden under an ugly black mask? (or foggy silicone in this case)

It would be good if you do go off-road or autoX, or maybe if you`re driving through a locust plague.:nixweiss

Gonzo
09-28-2004, 11:46 AM
WHEELWELLS!

GoodnClean
09-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Cool! That would be perfect for trips. Got bugs? Peel em off when you get there!

TW85 HHI
09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Looks very similar to the product the painters sprayed on our windows. Awesome product as long as it is applied properly.