PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna and Ceramiclear Finsihes: A New Phase in Polishing?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill D
07-10-2004, 11:48 AM
A recent thread discussed Menzerna`s polish for Ceramiclear paint ( a new innovative paint system by PPG that has debuted on new Mercedes Benzes). It seems that this paint could be distinct as to require a special polishing application ( i.e. special polish) to effectively and safely care for it. Menzerna is the first (one of? ) polish manufacturer to offer a polish specifically for Ceramiclear finishes. I assume it is likely, much how clear coat came on the scene, the same or very similar paint technology will spread across/trickle down to other auto marques.

Does this mean we need to have a whole new and different polish on our shelves in order to properly maintain this paint or do exisiting polishes do just fine on it? If so, what , if anything else else changes about the polishing process? PC or rotary only?

If there`s sort of a new "paradigm shift" when it comes to maintaining new nano, ceramic type paint, I`m sure it will prove to be interesting as well as exciting to experience.

Bill D
07-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Wow no comments on this topic??

I suppose nothing differs from polishing Ceramiclear than "normal" paint? :confused:

andriver
07-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Bill, too soon to tell if new products will be needed. Perhaps in the next year or so we will hear more from MB and some of the polish manufacturers

Bill D
07-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Yes, I suppose

But here`s a scenario I`d like to learn more about: Suppose a customers came to a detailer with a new `05 Mercedes that was swirled to hell by the dealer and wants these flaws corrected. Does the detailer have to do anything special to this type of paint or simply polish it using the same regimen as any other clear coated car?

Dtail
07-12-2004, 02:48 PM
When i took a class from meguiars a few months back, one of the meguiars rep said that they`re making new polishes designed for those new ceramiclear paint.

Bill D
07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
This is going to be very interesting to see what new goodies will be coming out :D

LouisanaJeeper
07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
hopefully ceramiclear owns up to the hype, and polishing will not be required as it will be swirl resistant

Bill D
07-12-2004, 05:59 PM
I`m certain it`s going to need polishing especially if owned by a non-Autopian. In poor garage lighting I already detected at least one minor scratch on a 3 week old SL :eek:

Thomas Dekany
07-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Didn`t Scottwax worked on a new MB? You shou;d ask him what he used and how it went.

ben54
07-12-2004, 06:48 PM
So what`s Ceramiclear paint, and how does it differ from "regular" clear coats? Better, worse, nothing special?

Got this information from ppg`s website: "According to Taljan, vehicles coated with CeramiClear clearcoat can still be damaged by such items as keys, but scratches associated with day-to-day use as well as degradation from ultraviolet radiation, acid rain or salt are less likely to affect the appearance of a vehicle’s coating over time. "

Bill D
07-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Here`s one source of info on it . This one came from Autopia:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24070&highlight=ceramiclear

ben54
07-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks Bill D, looks a whole new world. Can`t believe it is swirl resistant. When CeramiClear is described as "mar" resistant, I can imagine the clear coat being glossy, but still having holograms and swirls in it. To most, that is acceptable, but not to Autopians.

Kinda reminds me of Imron, the never wax paint. Haven`t heard anyone using Imron anymore.

Bill D
07-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I think it is micromarring resistant, maybe it guards against the stuff so shallow you would need 1000 watt halogens to see tit but I have seen a light *scratch* in it on a 3 week old car already :scared: From what I saw, it doesn`t appear a member of this forum can give up being much "less Autopian" even if he/she owned a car with this paint.

jimmybuffit
07-13-2004, 04:32 AM
I`ve used AutoInt`s "Cerious" polish.

(NOT on Ceramiclear) and found it to be very versatile.

Some copy from their website:

"CERIOUS COMPOUND

Developed for the new “NANO†clears!

™Developed over the past three years, working with a major OEM paint supplier to the

vehicle manufacturers.

™Specifically formulated for the new “NANO†clear coats being introduced on higher

line vehicles such as Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc.

™Products works on all present and past high solid urethane clears, when the correct

pads & rotary buffer speeds are utilized – see directions on product.

™Product works as a cutting product and a polishing product, when correct pad and

speed is utilized.

™The product is “body shop safeâ€, contains no waxes, silicones or other potentially

contaminating components.

™Product was NOT formulated for use on “non-clear coat†vehicles, although it may

be used in some cases.

Bill D
07-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I did come across that somewhere, I need to check and see if autoint`s online store is functional again. Thanks!