PDA

View Full Version : Should we keep detail products chilled?

Pages : [1] 2

SilverLexus
07-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I was wondering today if I should move some of my detail products like wax and detail sprays inside to be cooler. My garage here in Georgia is getting to be 80+ F at night and much hotter during the day.

What do members here do for storage during the summer months?

Will the heat break down any of the fine chemical compounds in waxes, etc. these days?

ChicagoVTX
07-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Being my first post I would like to say Hi :wavey to everyone here.

I keep all my wax(Pinnacle souvaran,Zymol concourse,TS,Blitz,ps21)in the fridge along with the beer. and have also wondered if I am doing the right thing:nixweiss

roadman
07-10-2004, 09:41 AM
I always bring a cooler w/Corona`s right next to the car, saves lots of time going back and forth to the fridge.

Plus after a few there is much less likelihood that I stumble over my PC power cord from walking back and forth to the fridge.

There is a disadvantage to PB`s being ok to use in the sun, each detail costs much more in beer !!! Great shine but you really work up a thirst applying it in the sun

a.k.a. Patrick
07-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Silver, im not so sure you need to keep things in the fridge, unless theres obvious reason to, like melting. I do however think products should be kept away from direct sunlight which we all can attest to, gets extremely hot......

LightngSVT
07-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I have done the opposite for years now. I leave my products in the garage all year, except I bring them in the house in the winter. My garage doesnt get much above 80* in the summer, but can dip down to 30* or less in winter. So what is the proper storage method?

ncal
07-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I would say that the proper storage is just keeping detailing products at standard conditions (ie. as close to room temperature). I think the main problem are the extreme temperatures, but I`m no authority of proper care for chemicals.

ALAN81
07-10-2004, 01:34 PM
NOT knowing much about this I just keep them in my basement in a constant 70 degree temp. I really dont know if keeping them in the fridge or a garage that gets hot is good for the wax or detailing products

04MysticCobra
07-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I keep all my detail products at room tempature inside the house not the garage. my understanding has always been the extremes. keep away from extreme heat or freezing. after checking the back of the bottles of polish and waxes that I have most of them say keep away from heat and/or extreme heat and all of them say freezing. I still favor room temp the best.

Later,04MysticCobra.

--------------------------------

2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe

2004 Maxima SE

imported_Greg
07-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Keep my paste waxes in the fridge, the rest in the garage.

SilverLexus
07-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Seems avoiding extremes is good advice. Also seems reasonable to store wax in the fridge...

a.k.a. Patrick
07-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Just dont pour anything on your pancakes !

sQuashed
07-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Souveran wax mixed with scrambled eggs!!!

Its a Pina Colada Omlette !!

tom p.
07-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Tallman

I always bring a cooler w/Corona`s right next to the car, saves lots of time going back and forth to the fridge.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/icis/ices_lol_ani.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/icis/ices_lol_ani.gif

Originally posted by ALAN81

NOT knowing much about this I just keep them in my basement in a constant 70 degree temp. I really dont know if keeping them in the fridge or a garage that gets hot is good for the wax or detailing products

Yeah, most, if not all, of the mfrs recommend keeping products in a moderate/cool environment where a stable temp exists - - most basements would be just about perfect.

I know my garage sees huge temperature extremes between summer and winter seasons. I keep basic cleaning products there but none of the car specific products.

I suppose keeping paste waxes chilled makes some sense and likely extends the products useful lifetime. Zymol used to suggest keeping their waxes in the fridge.

Accumulator
07-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Back before I built the current garage, the place I had got *HOT* in the summer, hot enough that the OH door motors wouldn`t work reliably! I never had a problem with any of my detailing supplies, except for a bottle of #34 I left there for several years (forgot about it back in a storage room). The #34 turned clear and orange-colored! But my Souveran and my other stuff didn`t seem to be bothered by the heat at all. I`m still using many of those products today.

togwt
07-12-2004, 11:12 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: I keep all my wax(Pinnacle souvaran,Zymol concourse,TS,Blitz,ps21)in the fridge along with the beer. and have also wondered if I am doing the righ?

A: For the beer, definitely, as for the wax and etc, room temperature (70oF +-5) is fine for wax a ‘stable’ temp is better (refrigerator)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *