PDA

View Full Version : Ding pulling suction cups: Waste of money?

Bill D
07-09-2004, 05:28 PM
I stumbled across another kind of section cup that is supposed to be used for pulling out dents and dings. I`m pessimistic about its effectiveness. I wonder if it would work any better than Ding King. By chance,anyone have a set of these?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1659&keyword=31093

tguil
07-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Bill D.,

I saw the Eastwood ad too. I thought about it for a minute or less. Dent removal is a skill that most of us don`t have. The Eastwood suction cups are already standard body shop tools. Note the picture a hammer with them.

For removing small dents take out your check book and head for a skilled PDR tech. They already have a variety of tools and can work magic. It is not all that expensive.

Tom :cool:

jaybs02
07-10-2004, 07:56 AM
I`ve used one on a number of my cars with limited success

It`s only good if the metal is pushed in and can "pop" out, but not really dented. Once you take the body the body hammer to it the paint will crack.

Good luck

"J"

Big Leegr
07-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Yeah, as previously stated, the ding has to "want" to come out, like its trying to pop back, but needs some help. If the dent has a "sharp" bend to it, even if you do pop it out, you`ll still have a crease in the car. Also, you need a cup that`s about the size of the dent. Too big and it won`t do anything.

Flatfour
07-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Don`t try this at your car unless you`re very skilled.

Leave car park dents for the prof`s, you can ruin your panel in a few seconds..

I learned it on old doors and panels in the garden, :)

Took me several years to gain the skill..

Wally

ncal
07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
PDR is a cool skill to learn but it requires an investment just to get a small arsenal of tools. Definately something that requires practice and time.

BikeFreak
07-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I just had a ding removed from my bed from an errant bungee cord that whipped around and smacked the bed. I left about a dime size dent, kinda looked like a knuckle punch dent. Given the truck is only 6 weeks old I was really pissed at myself that I did it.

Anyhow I called a local PDR guy and he came out and fixed at work in less than an hour. The dent and any remnants if it is abslolutely GONE. I was VERY impressed. Well worth the $75.

I would highly recommend this to anyone. If anyone is in the Portland OR area I can gladly give you this guys number. I just wish I had some before pics.

BikeFreak

07-12-2004, 12:40 PM
So Wally...how`d you get started?

foxtrapper
07-13-2004, 09:49 AM
They work fine, but they aren`t for dings, and don`t compete with the Ding King. These suction cups are for larger dents, like if someone kicks your door. They work fine for that sort of large dent.

You`ve already got one of these tools though. It` the toilet plunger. Works quite well for pulling out large dents.