PDA

View Full Version : Got my pc, but it sucks..........

trueblueblood
07-08-2004, 05:23 PM
....... Sucks those swirls and scratches right out. Sorry couldn`t resist:D ! Alright I finally got My Porter Cable 7336 for 109 after tax with the Lowe`s 10% coupon, one thing about Lowe`s that I was dissapointed about was they don`t carry 3M blue tape now they have some off brand called painter`s pro but it works good!. I already had my pads which had been sitting in my garage for a month now so I was itchin to to destroy some cobwebbing I was noticing and some etching I had on my hood. Couple of questions

1)How do you guys work DACP as far as speed on the PC and how long. I was starting on 2 and geting it worked in then cranked it to 6 well I thought to keep working it til it dusted and was clear. No matter how long I worked it their was still a good layer it started to dust alittle but was taking forever, is this normal or am I using too much product. I started with an X across the pad and would add alittle when I went to each section.

2)Vanilla Moose same ? speed and length of time to work in?

3) On my hood I had some either water/acid etching I hit it with a white pad and DACP then a yellow pad it helped some after two times. Do I need to go a couple more rounds like this. I have a wool pad and was thinkin about goin over it a couple time with that and some SFP or DACP, do you see any problems in this?

4) How much polish do you add throught the buffing process to the pad, like how much do add after the inital loading on each panel?

Thanks for any help!:xyxthumbs

Gonzo
07-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Want to get together Saturday some time (I have a committment Sunday)? Just checked the forcast - 50% chance of rain. Do you have a garage? I can show you DACP & #82, the Menzerna triplets and 1Z triplets with PC or Cyclo or Makita. I gotta get some marring off my L. I`ve even got a 12x12 EZup for some shade

CTDiesel
07-08-2004, 07:22 PM
How do you get one of these elusive Lowes coupons? I`ve looked on the Lowes website, but I can`t find anything other than the new movers coupon.

trueblueblood
07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=topicSelect&topic=newMovers&rn=none

Here ya go man!

Pats300zx
07-09-2004, 11:24 AM
How do you get one of these elusive Lowes coupons? I`ve looked on the Lowes website, but I can`t find anything other than the new movers coupon.

I also saw them at the US Post Office....

trueblueblood
07-09-2004, 11:26 AM
You got a pm Gonzo. Come on all the views and no one has a response. You didn`t like my sucking swirls post just keeeeeddddiiinnnnggg!!!!!!!! :D Where`s the love ?:xyxthumbs

04BlackAV
07-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Probably because Gonzo was willing to come over and give a few pointers in person no one wanted to bother and give you any answers here.:nixweiss Someone coming over and showing you in person is far better than me trying to type up my experiences with DACP.I`m a 2 finger typer.:D

Glossequation
07-09-2004, 12:12 PM
It is important to note that the PC IS NOT a timesaver, rather an arm-saver. It also typically produces better results vs. by hand, but it does not build up heat so don`t expect it to quickly whisk away swirls/cobwebbing/marring. If you want that, get a rotary.

When properly trained, you will be blown away by the results it can achieve.

wifehatescar
07-09-2004, 12:25 PM
To answer part of your question....I would not mess with a wool pad. Go foam cutting (yellow LC) if needed.

togwt
07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Gonzo now that true blue blood has brought a PC don’t demo the Cyclo or he’d wish he had one…

FWIW avoid the lambs wool pad it may cause you problems

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Gonzo
07-09-2004, 12:57 PM
TOGWT

Nope, I`m gonna infect him, just like Anthony O infected me!:D

mnbv
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
what is the price difference on the Cyclo vs PC?

Gonzo
07-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Cyclo Kit at TOL is about $300 - then you will need to add more pads and accessories. It has carpet brushes and plastic cladding brushes (think Chebby Avalanche) among others.

In terms of aggression, it lies between a PC and a rotary.

It will break down Menzerna Power Gloss like a rotary whereas a PC cannot.

trueblueblood
07-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 04BlackAV

Probably because Gonzo was willing to come over and give a few pointers in person no one wanted to bother and give you any answers here.:nixweiss Someone coming over and showing you in person is far better than me trying to type up my experiences with DACP.I`m a 2 finger typer.:D

Good call, I`m getting the hang of using it just unsure of technique with different polishes. The etching on my hood will more than likely take a rotary if a couple passes with a wool pad doens`t cut it. I`m glad someone lives near me to call for assistance, thanks Gonzo! I still wanted to know about the DACP and VM procedure and if going to a wool pad is worth it. Thanks guys:xyxthumbs

Gonzo
07-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Check out Woodcraft at 290 and Hollister. They carry MicroMesh sandpapers - grits 1500 to 12000 (not a typo). With a hard sanding block, that may be more appropriate for "levelling" the etching you have. If you go that route, be VERY VERY careful. Do lost of research before you try it.

Here is a MicroMesh source

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/