PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! need some advice ASAP

wootang00
07-08-2004, 12:27 PM
to start off with well i drive a 2004 brilliant black audi a4.. the last week the sprinklers were on and i didnt know it (just moved to new neighborhood) and ya.. water marks were all over my car the next morning.. except the stupid part about it was.. i left it like that for a week.. and it seems as though the marks have.. burnt into the paint? i just washed my car.. and the water marks are still there..if you look at an angle.. although there is no residue or anything. it seems like its burnt into the paint or something.. is there anything i can do to fix this asap?... its driving me nuts.. i first washed my car with car wash soap.. then again with dishwasher soap hoping if i took off the wax it would come off as well.. but no avail.. thanx again.

Dalight
07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
My wife`s Taurus had something similar happen at the beach. We tried claying the paint, and I thought I`d removed the spots. However, last night I saw her hood in a directional light (garage light) and saw the marks were still there. I took some quick hand polish (3M SMR) to one of the areas, but nothing came off. They`re obviously etched in the clear coat.

I think nothing short of PC and DACP will get them out.

You can try the clay or some vinegar. I`ve heard of peopel having luck with either.

From what I`ve seen, the only defense against the spots is to have a fresh coat of wax on.

wootang00
07-08-2004, 12:33 PM
anybody with a pc in the southern ca area?.. haha dang this really stinks.. its driving me nuts.. any other suggestions?

Dalight
07-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by wootang00

anybody with a pc in the southern ca area?.. haha dang this really stinks.. its driving me nuts.. any other suggestions?

There`s probably a couple. ;)

Why not try the clay or vinegar first? These are the least harmful to your clearcoat. DACP will abrade away a later to get rid of the marks.

wootang00
07-08-2004, 12:36 PM
haha actually i said it wrong.. anybody with a pc in the southern ca area who will do it for free.. haha =P of course.. ill bring the other supplies..

wootang00
07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
hmm just pure vinegar.. or vinegar and water?... so if i have a bucket.. whats the ratio i would use of each?

Dalight
07-08-2004, 12:38 PM
I`m not sure of the ratio since I never tried vinegar. Try a search.

togwt
07-08-2004, 12:41 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Removing water spots:

·Use detailing clay to remove any ‘hard’ granules

·Use water/distilled white vinegar or a 5:1 Isopropyl Alcohol solution (adjust ratio as required) or try equal parts distilled white vinegar, Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water to dissolve the alkaline-based mineral water deposits.

·Use a clean spray bottle and a 100% cotton Microfiber cloth to apply the solution to the surfaces

·Wipe off any residue from paint/glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

·If any ‘water spots’ remain apply Distilled White Vinegar un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on surface.

·Wipe off any residue and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

·Inspect surface for smoothness and repeat if necessary.

·If you don’t achieve the results you are looking for try an abrasive machine polish

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

andriver
07-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Klasse AIO works on water spots. Vinegar is another option. Lots of threads about this.

Dalight
07-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by andriver

Klasse AIO works on water spots. Vinegar is another option. Lots of threads about this.

Really? Sweet!

I`m getting some AIO in the mail today. I`ll try that on the wife`s car.

dcswd
07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I did a Honda that had water spots on it for a number of weeks. It probably didnt have any wax on it before I started.

I tried 50/50 rubbing alcohol and then vinegar (I forgot the mix I did) and I didnt have any luck.

SSR1 worked for me on the paint (light abrasive... much ligher than dacp). I tried a chemical cleaner, and while it sorta worked, it was very slow. I would suggest you try something ligher out before going to dacp.... but if you have swirls you want to take out as well, go with dacp (or similar( :)

HotRodGuy
07-08-2004, 12:53 PM
try warm water :)

wootang00
07-08-2004, 01:56 PM
hmm.. tried to vinegar... it did get off the mark left by the bird poop.. as for the water marks.. i guess it helped a little.. but wasnt good enough to get em off.. i just soaked a sponge with vinegar and went at it.. any other ideas..