PDA

View Full Version : NXT + finishing pad question

blackmagicwrx
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
thi is an easy question but if you search for nxt + finishing pad, well you get a lot of results. LOL

i just finished buffing my black wrx with the Menzerna polishes. I have NXT that i want to apply with the finishing pad that came in my autopia-carcare PC package.

question 1: How much NXT should i put on the pad and should i smear it like i do the Menzerna product?

question 2: I wanna layer up the NXT, how long should I wait before applying the second coat?

04BlackAV
07-08-2004, 11:09 AM
#1 Well what I do and it may not be the right way,is to put some small dabs around the outside of the pad to first prime it.Then smear it around first with the PC off and then have at it with a speed of around 4.Then I just put a couple of small drops on once the pad is primed with NXT.

#2 You should wait 24 hrs between coats and try to keep the paint dry while it cures over night.

jfelbab
07-08-2004, 11:39 AM
I found NXT to work better with the polishing pad than the finishing pad. YMMV.

blackmagicwrx
07-08-2004, 12:14 PM
04BlackAV - no problem with keeping the car dry. it`s living in the garage and i`m using a beater ;)

jfelbab - so i might have better luck with the white pad rather than the gray? i`ll give both a shot. thx for the info.

thinksnow
07-08-2004, 12:17 PM
blackmagic--I also had a lot of luck with the NXT and the polishing pad. You`ll get better results from working it for a while instead of simply spreading it (okay--rephrased--I got better results from...).

BillNorth
07-08-2004, 01:03 PM
As to your second question, I doubt NXT is layerable. It has specialized cleaners in it which will most likely remove the previous layer. Just wait for the first coat to fade before adding more. No point in wasting product for nothing.

Bill.

Mike_Phillips
07-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by BillNorth

As to your second question, I doubt NXT is layerable. It has specialized cleaners in it which will most likely remove the previous layer. Just wait for the first coat to fade before adding more. No point in wasting product for nothing.

Bill.

I find applying a second application of the NXT Tech Wax has always improved upon the results produced by one application. When possible, I try to always pull the car out into the sun after one application and carefully inspect it. Often I take pictures. Then I apply a second application and after finishing the compete detail, I pull the car out into the sun again for inspection.

To date, I have always found that 2 applications look better than 1 application.

For example this truck with a single stage finish. It looked great after one application of Tech Wax, but it looked even better after the second application.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2F150Finished1.jpg

I think this holds true for most waxes on the market. Two thin coats will almost always look better than 1 coat. Tech Wax does contain a sleight amount of a special cleaner, but it`s not like a rubbing compound, no even remotely close. It is very sleight and it is only active at the very beginning of application. Whether or not Tech Wax is layerable depends on your definition of layerable.

13. Are multiple coats of wax beneficial? (Layering) (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=13&section=_13#_13)

14. Can Meguiar`s waxes be "Layered"? (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=14&section=_14#_14)

The chemist told me that a second application of NXT Tech wax will leave behind more product than it removes. I imagine if you apply the second coat aggressively, or with something more aggressive than soft foam, then the application material and the force could affect it`s cleaning ability. Remember, polishing paint is an art form, it is part process, and part passion.

The results of a second layer can be hard to distinguish on lighter colors but it`s pretty easy to tell the difference on darker colors like the black paint on the above truck. The key is to inspect the results after the first application, and then again after the second application, and to do so in different lighting conditions and from different angles. If you just apply one coat, you will not be able to compare, and if you don`t carefully inspect between coats, you will not be able to notice a difference. Again, this holds true for most products.

Tonight we`re doing an Extreme Makeover to this severely oxidized and neglected 1969 Mustang.

1969 Mustang - Single Stage Green Paint - Extreme Makeover (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1747)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2GreenMustangBefore3-med.jpg

After the prep work is complete, we will be applying two applications of NXT Tech Wax. Please feel free to come on down and join in the fun and inspect the finish before and after the second coat of NXT. Because this is a lighter color, you may not see a difference, but if you can see a difference on darker colors, we can assume the difference takes place on lighter colors, it’s just our eyes have a difficult time perceiving the difference.

Mike

04BlackAV
07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I`ve been doing 2 layers,only because I wanted to insure total coverage.Then the next day I`ll top with #16.To be honest with my untrained eye I really didn`t notice any difference between the first and second layer on black.:nixweiss

Mike_Phillips
07-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Sometimes it`s hard, other times it takes a little experience to know what to look for and how to look.

Of course, your mileage may vary!

:D :D :D

Next time I have a black car in the garage, I`ll post an open invitation also.

Mike