PDA

View Full Version : Washing fifth wheel trailer ?

imported_Tony
07-07-2004, 02:56 PM
I recently purchased an Open Road 357 RLDS fifth wheel travel trailer. This unit is 37`6" long and for bridge clearance 12`6" high. It is probably only 12 feet high for washing, the additional height is the A/C on top.

How do I wash this thing? At 5`7" there is no way I can reach to the top. The thought of dragging a ladder around does not sound very effective. The long poles with brushes on the end may be the only answer. From my autopian days I have been trained to keep brushes off paint. This is a fiberglass unit with gel coat caps on front.

I am getting a headache just thinking about it. Please help!!!!with any infor. It is 100 degrees outside... I got go get some more beer for starters.

ZaneO
07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Reverse Osmosis water and a long handled boar`s hair or chenile brush.

Matt M, PA
07-07-2004, 03:31 PM
I regularly wash my enclosed car trailer. It`s 22` long and about 10` feet high.

It`s tough to get into the habit of doing it...but I got a brush with an extendable aluminum handle. The bristles are reasonably soft, and I have noticed no real problems. I use TW Zip wash in a bucket and wash with the brush. I used to use the brush on my pressure washer..but setting all that up was more than it was worth.

I bought this trailer new in 1995, and after wash and coat of CW with a big 10" orbital, it still looks great.

A vehicle of this size is just too big to get into multi-steps.

The only big problem is that after a trailer gets to be a few years old, the black streaks start appearing after a rain. I use the CW to get rid of those.

Gonzo
07-07-2004, 08:17 PM
.....then haul it to Arlington and let Scottwax polish that sukka! :D

He has experience with BUFFS - there`s photo on this board to prove it

imported_Tony
07-07-2004, 10:35 PM
HI Gonzo:

That truck of yours will really go and looks great. Keep up the good work.

I have a trailer but no truck! You know how it is when an old dog smells a good deal. I will probably get burned on the truck. Win one lose one, it all fun.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Heres my baby....I use the long handle with the blue broom brush.....Its all aluminum siding with rubber roof top........Im still experimenting with the exterior cleaning.....I use Armor All Auto wash, and it works great on the RV.......For the top im using Protect-All Rubber roof cleaner, and protectant.......Anyway you look at it, its not a lot of fun, just tackle a bit at a time, carry QD with you on trip and clean a side a day.......Ive began to use the Dupont Teflon Spray wax on it, and after washing it last weekend, its still beaded and felt real slick after about 4 months......