PDA

View Full Version : Towel color.

94 NDTA
07-07-2004, 12:49 PM
I was always told (back in my Zaino days) that cotton towels that aren`t white are the devil. I was wondering why MF towels aren`t bad if they are dyed and cottons are. Is there a different process they go through?

III
07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
This is an excellent question. I have wondered this myself. Anyone care to share?

EBPcivicsi
07-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Before MF I used 100% cotton exclusively. I used royal velvets or charisma towels. I would use any color that was on sale, I never had an issue.

I have read that with MF the lighter the color, the softer the towel. I only have light colored MF by chance so I have no basis for comparison.

imported_Intel486
07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
I`ve also heard the lighter the color MF towel the softer. You`d have to look into the dye and it`s effect on the material.

I`ve got all light green MF towels so I can`t compare at all.

imported_eggroll
07-07-2004, 02:44 PM
i don`t know if it matters with microffiber. Zaino also says to use cotton only towels. Could be a reaction with the cotton..

medic159
07-07-2004, 03:15 PM
The dyes used in textile dying are each according to the fiber being dyed. So, you will have one formulation for polyester, another for cotton, another silk, another for rayon, and so on. It has nothing to do with whether a yarn is a microfiber or not.

If two towels are from the same maker, one dark one light, and one feels different than the other, then they used too mych dye on one. There should be no difference in the feel if the goods are dyed and fixed properly.

Generally speaking, the reason to keep away from dyes is because many cheaper dyers don`t "fix" the dyes properly so they can transfer to the finish. If they are properly fixed and not dyed to excess, then you should be OK. As a rule though, keep away from colors that have a tendency to run such as red and red families, navy, and fluorescents.