PDA

View Full Version : How many coats?

imported_speedracer
07-07-2004, 07:53 AM
I am just curious on how many coats everyone is putting on their car. I am beginning to think I might be over doing it. I use the WG PreWax Enhancer and then apply the WG Sealant. I wait 24 hours and then apply another coat of WG, after that I wait and then do Souveran x2. I did not know if you could over do it, cant hurt it right?

:nixweiss

maecrispy
07-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Only your wallet. :D

Most products work just fine with one or two applications (and the second is mostly to even out coverage.) Anything additional is really wasted product.

Of course, there will be those that swear adding a bajillion layers really does enhance the appearance (some Z users come to mind.) Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt, it`s probably a case of diminishing returns. The cost of adding another layer vs. the 1% extra shine (not a scientific % :D) is probably not worth it.

audio1der
07-07-2004, 08:02 AM
That, my friend, is one giant can of worms you`re holding there!

Many beleive layering can`t actually happen.

Many beleive in layering and practice it religiously.

If you beleive you can see or tell the difference with an extra layer, you`ve waited at least 24hrs. since the last coat and you`re okay with a higher usage of product, go for it!

I wax my car at least every 2 weeks as I park outside. Some of my co-workers bug me about getting "wax build-up"- I WISH!

Seriously, many of find the art of detailing relaxing and a great way to pass an afternoon or evening. Do as you please- you`re not here to please anyone else.:xyxthumbs

SK2003TypeS
07-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Comparing 2 different Zaino experiences, I noticed my car looked better with 2 coats of Z2 w/zfx spaced out over 24 hours vs. 6 coats of Z w/zfx done in 2 days.

I pretty much stick to 2 coats these days. Maybe 3 if I have a little extra Z mixed up. Doesn`t look any better, but since I have it I throw it on the car instead of the garbage.

togwt
07-07-2004, 09:20 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I’m in agreement with ‘audio1de’r et al, if you like to apply 10+ layers why not, its only your time and money.

Layering:

By applying more products on top of one that has already cross-linked you can increase it’s density (up to a point). The thin film of product that’s applied isn’t really another layer.

Each subsequent applications adherence process is that the solvents work their way into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the previous ‘layer’ thereby creating an anchor, and by surface tension, when the paint film surface is level then this density can no longer be increased (i.e. there is nothing to anchor to)

A level paint film surface improves the paint film surface’s desired optical properties (i.e. surface reflectance, clarity, gloss, and depth of shine)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *