PDA

View Full Version : Sealants and dust?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-06-2004, 01:50 PM
I`ve found that NXT and FMJ both attract lots of small dust particles. Do polymer sealants naturally collect more dust than carnuba waxes?

ncal
07-06-2004, 02:06 PM
No, in fact carnaubas should generally attract more dust.

imported_eggroll
07-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Not sure, but EX-P seems to attract very little dust. 4*, and klasse are other good dust repellants.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I think this is the nature of the beast with Polymers. One reason many have strayed away from BF.....Most dont understand that after a day or two you can QD the problem away!

Matt M, PA
07-06-2004, 02:53 PM
I`d bet that it has more to do with the additives, oils, etc in a given product.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Ncal says "no" and akaPatrick implies"yes". I say "doh"!

:nixweiss

getfit74
07-06-2004, 05:07 PM
I agree, I have never seen a more agressive dust attractant than Zaino.

imported_memnuts
07-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Dust is a consequence of 3 main factors. Most important is environmental conditions. The second is surface static. Third is product type used.

Environmental conditions will determine if one`s vehicle will be covered with (dust). High traffic areas ( including your garage), pollen, construction site proximity, roads traveled ( e.i. gravel), etc. These factors are hard to alter.

Static charge created by surface manipulation (wash, drying, QD`ing, waxing) needs to be discharged by some manner. Best method is just natural discharging by allowing surface to "rest" in a clean garage. This is not possible for a daily driver in most cases.

Product type used: Very minor. Yes, carnuabas contain oils that may "trap" this particulate manner. but again if the environment is rather dust-free, carnuabas will not "attract" more dust than a similiar surface with a sealant protectant.

Once a vehicle is covered with dust, it is from my experience that a sealant protected vehicle has a tendency allow this dust to be blown off quite easily. Carnauba, especially a hot carnauba`d surface, tends to hold onto this dust.

Could this be why we think carnaubas attract more dust? :nixweiss

leftturn
07-06-2004, 06:18 PM
My take on the dust is that it is mostly caused by the buffing with towels and such ( ie static ). At least for me it tends to be the worst after wax removal and especially on the plastic panels. My solution has been to lightly wet a towel with distilled water and gently go over the car. It will discharge most of the static. I hope this helps =)

a.k.a. Patrick
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm...Ive usually topped BF with S100 to assist in elimination of dust. It works for me, but im in California.....At times we get very low humidity, and i dont care what you use, dust adheres......Ive normally believed that due to polymers high oil content (Im speaking of BF and Plat here) that this is where the dust problem lies......I do agree with blkZ28Conv evaluation of dust adhereing to Carnauba more so than a Polymer. But as far as "attraction", its been my experience that Poly`s are king for attraction......

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by leftturn

My take on the dust is that it is mostly caused by the buffing with towels and such ( ie static ). At least for me it tends to be the worst after wax removal and especially on the plastic panels. My solution has been to lightly wet a towel with distilled water and gently go over the car. It will discharge most of the static. I hope this helps =)

I will try that.

Scott P
07-07-2004, 06:38 AM
I always had dust attraction problems after applying Zaino, even witha Z-6 spritzing. Wolfgang attracted a lot of dust too after initial application.

jimmybuffit
07-07-2004, 06:52 AM
I use Klasse SG frequently, and about 40% of the cars I do are black.

I`m convincd that static electricity is created; so much so, that I use a ground wire to discharge the vehicle. Makes a difference in my world.

Jim

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

I use Klasse SG frequently, and about 40% of the cars I do are black.

I`m convincd that static electricity is created; so much so, that I use a ground wire to discharge the vehicle. Makes a difference in my world.

Jim

What kind of wire do you use?

What do you touch the ground wire to? The water pipe?

Do you have to touch the ground wire to all over the car, or can you just touch it to one spot?

Dalight
07-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by ncal

No, in fact carnaubas should generally attract more dust.

That`s not what this guy discovered.

Great Wax-Off (http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/durability.htm)

He waxed half of his car with Zaino and half with Malm`s and drove it through the desert.

http://www.deckowski.com/DV3/lowres/product%20shots%20440.jpg

The Zaino half is the dusty half.

I personally have yet to see a sealant that doesn`t attract tons of dust.