PDA

View Full Version : Leather Marks From Belt

evor1
07-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I have very light tan seats in my TSX and my belt seems to have transfered some darker brown dye on the leather.

I have tried everything I can think of, and it did lighten, but it is definitly not gone.

I tried a spot remover, leather cleaner, and an eraser. The eraser worked best, but I can still see it.

Any ideas???

matt-r
07-05-2004, 10:52 PM
I have the same problem on the light beige (Gobi) interior of my car. It seems that the seatbelt labels dye the leather where they rub against it. The dealer was unable to remove the stains and is checking into it with Volvo of NA. I have not heard back from them about the problem, time to follow up!

chris0626
07-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by sveet

I have very light tan seats in my TSX and my belt seems to have transfered some darker brown dye on the leather.

I have tried everything I can think of, and it did lighten, but it is definitly not gone.

I tried a spot remover, leather cleaner, and an eraser. The eraser worked best, but I can still see it.

Any ideas???

What brand/type of spot remover and leather cleaners have you tried? And (I`m not familiar with the TSX) is this genuine leather? or "leatherette"? It might make a difference in the recommendations.

BTW, my "day job" is in book/paper conservation, so I`ll see if the other conservators have any suggestions, when I get back to the office tomorrow.

togwt
07-06-2004, 06:43 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Try 303 Spot Cleaner & Spot Remover or Leatherique Pristine Clean

With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won’t discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

evor1
07-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

What brand/type of spot remover and leather cleaners have you tried? And (I`m not familiar with the TSX) is this genuine leather? or "leatherette"? It might make a difference in the recommendations.

BTW, my "day job" is in book/paper conservation, so I`ll see if the other conservators have any suggestions, when I get back to the office tomorrow.

The leather cleaner I have is older cheap stuff. I also have a spot remover but I think it is solvent based (smells like tri or perchlorethelene) and it would be better for oil, etc...

I think that the leather is a "coated" leather. It is real leather, but I think it has a urethane type coating. Thus the staining should be only on the surface, so I can`t figure out why I can`t get it off.

kompressornsc
07-06-2004, 08:24 AM
I have the same problem, and the worst part is it`s from my Coach leather belt! It`s on a light grey custom interior from CST, so I`m sure it`s coated leather. I`ve tried Zaino leather cleaner, Zymol leather cleaner, Leatherique, 303, Meg`s leather cleaner, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Woolite and cursing at it, all to no avail. I agree that it should just be transfer on to the surface, but perhaps the rubbing works it in? I`ve given up on it and figure it`s just something I`ll have to live with.

I even have a little clean space right in the center where my belt loop hits. :D

MarkPinTx
07-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Same here. There`s another thread on here where Lexol recommended judicious use (sparing) of Formula 409.

Mine`s not really that noticeable. Only to the anal.

evor1
07-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by MarkPinTx

Same here. There`s another thread on here where Lexol recommended judicious use (sparing) of Formula 409.

Mine`s not really that noticeable. Only to the anal.

Same here, but I am anal.

Maybe I`ll ry 409.

MarkPinTx
07-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Same here, but I am anal.

Me too. Let me know if the 409 works :D

longarm
07-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Are you sure it`s transfer form your belt? I thought I had the same problem in my Focus with my tan leather seats. It was actually the dye in the seats wearing off prematurly. It really sucks, but now the dealership has to remove the panels and replace them.

dgraupman
07-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Use light pressure. It`s worked very well on stubborn coated leather stains for me.