PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Shine

Pages : [1] 2

Dalight
07-05-2004, 08:43 PM
I`ve been reading the Perfect Shine article on BetterCareCare. In that article, the author (David) describes his perfect detail job where he starts with AIO and tops with Pinnacle Souveran.

What do other people do for their perfect shine? I was thinking about trying AIO with a sealant topper (BFII, Poorboys?). Would a process like this benefit from a layer of VM in between? Is it worth it to even use the AIO, or should I just put VM on clean paint?

thinksnow
07-05-2004, 09:24 PM
I forgot what color your Snaab was, but the AIO-->PS combo would be most appreciated on a dark color (red, blue, black). PS does very little, in my experience, on a white, silver, or tan color.

For light colors, either AIO or VM will look great followed by #16, EX-P, UPP, NXT, S100/P21S or SG (with AIO). I can`t attest to BFII, as I haven`t invested in it.

AIO and VM have very similar purposes (cleaning the paint and leaving a slick surface for your lsp), thus it is a "one or the other" scenario. VM uses chemical cleaners and adds a very slight abrasive and some very slight filling properties, while AIO is strictly a chemical cleaner. I`ve never used either as a one-step product except for glass applications. When used on the glass, the AIO *destroys* the VM in length of durability, so I would assume that the same could be said for durability on the paint as a stand-alone product.

I`m happy using VM and AIO interchangeably on the paint as a preparation step before my lsp. The only exception is when I`ve chosen SG as my topper. In this case, obviously AIO is the prep step.

Dark or light, AIO + SG x ? is a great option. For dark, add a carnauba topper after 2-4 coats of SG. For light, realize that the carnauba may not add much, if anything to the glow.

Light colors *love* VM and EX-P or VM/AIO + UPP. The Jeep is currently wearing the VM + EX-P x 2 combo right now and it really glows.

Dalight
07-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Way to throw in the "n." :)

My paint (metallic) is a different shade depending on the light. In bright light, it`s a light blue-grey. At dusk, or in a garage, it`s almost navy.

I`m thinking about doing half the hood with VM and half with AIO, then doing half of each with EX-P and half with S100. :D

I`m lucky the wife has lots of grad school homework to keep herself busy. ;)

imported_Intel486
07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
I`m currently trying to get my truck done with a new system but it`s difficult because I don`t have much time to work on my truck between working, rain, and recovering from the night before...

My current finishing plan is put on a couple coats of PB`s Ex-P and top with P21S. I`ve got to finish polishing the truck out... seems to rain as soon as I finish drying the truck.

Dalight
07-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

My current finishing plan is put on a couple coats of PB`s Ex-P and top with P21S. I`ve got to finish polishing the truck out... seems to rain as soon as I finish drying the truck.

The only thing that worries me about a carnuba topper is when I need another layer of sealant, I have to go all the way back to the polish / glaze. :(

thinksnow
07-05-2004, 09:45 PM
That is always a difficult color to characterize. I predict AIO/S100 will come out on top in your aforementioned test. I would also recommend 1Z`s Waxpolishsoft. PM me if you want a small sample.

chris0626
07-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by BDawg

I`ve been reading the Perfect Shine article on BetterCareCare. In that article, the author (David) describes his perfect detail job where he starts with AIO and tops with Pinnacle Souveran.

What do other people do for their perfect shine? I was thinking about trying AIO with a sealant topper (BFII, Poorboys?). Would a process like this benefit from a layer of VM in between? Is it worth it to even use the AIO, or should I just put VM on clean paint?

If you`re going to apply AIO, why wouldn`t you follow with the classic SG? :nixweiss It`s the most-often-recommended followup for AIO. The two are compatible/complimentary. I love the effect on my red and champagne cars.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Autopia Harpies, let me just say I was seriously unimpressed with Vanilla Moose. AIO is subtle and effective; for me, VM stunk of chemicals and was no more effective than AIO. I gave away my VM at the first opportunity.

But I hear that you`re looking for options. If you want to go with Klasse, I`d recommend the AIO/SG combo -- good cleaner, good sealant. Then top it with a carnauba, if that`s the look you`re after.

Dalight
07-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

If you`re going to apply AIO, why wouldn`t you follow with the classic SG? :nixweiss It`s the most-often-recommended followup for AIO. The two are compatible/complimentary. I love the effect on my red and champagne cars.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Autopia Harpies, let me just say I was seriously unimpressed with Vanilla Moose. AIO is subtle and effective; for me, VM stunk of chemicals and was no more effective than AIO. I gave away my VM at the first opportunity.

But I hear that you`re looking for options. If you want to go with Klasse, I`d recommend the AIO/SG combo -- good cleaner, good sealant. Then top it with a carnauba, if that`s the look you`re after.

The only reason I`m shying away from AIO/SG is I`m looking for a deeper, wetter look than I`ve heard the Klasse products provide together.

togwt
07-06-2004, 07:20 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

AIO + SG and then Pinnacle Souveran on metallics.

Pinnacle is formulated from a polymer and Carnauba wax mix, your concern that you’ll have to start aging if you want to apply more ‘layers ‘ of Klasse, by the time you get to that stage the Carnauba wax will be all but gone.

It evaporates over time (dependant upon ambient temperatures), which limits its durability. As a general rule-of-thumb: 50% after 30 days, 75% is gone after 60 days and after 90 days it should be reapplied.

An ideal last step product (LSP) for metallic paint is Pinnacle Signature Series Carnauba / Polymer wax. Or for light coloured paints use Pinnacle Signature Series Carnauba wax. Use Pinnacle Crystal Mist as a quick detailer (QD) to refresh finish and leave a just-waxed look

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

jimmybuffit
07-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I`m looking for a deeper, wetter look than I`ve heard the Klasse products provide together

Gosh, I`ve used alot of different combos...

The Klasse Twins (at least 2xSg), with a Souveran/S100 topper ranks among the best on black and red. Depth, durability, and ease of use. It`s all there.

More than 40% of the cars we do are black.

Jim

Dalight
07-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Reading back over the article, I saw the following two steps:

#4 Now it`s time to glaze your paint to bring out its full gloss potential. For this I recommend a fine hand polish. I typically use a product like P21S Paintwork Cleanser or SONUS Paintwork Cleanser. If your paintwork is already in perfect condition, you can skip this step.

#5 Once perfectly polished, your paint is ready to be sealed. For this I use a product that`s been protecting my cars since 1987, Klasse All-In-One. The Klasse acrylic formula has proven its quality to me again and again. Klasse All-In-One is a one-step acrylic resin that cleans, lightly polishes and protects paint with a durable acrylic finish. The best way to apply Klasse All-In-One is with a foam applicator pad. Klasse All-In-One contains cleaners that remove previous layers of Klasse All-In-One. If you wish to apply additional Klasse acrylic protection, you can apply one or more coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze. Klasse Sealant Glaze does not contain cleaners; it is a pure acrylic sealant. Additional layers of Klasse Sealant Glaze will increase protection and finish depth.

Won`t the AIO completely wipe out whatever glaze is under it?

chris0626
07-07-2004, 10:38 PM

The only reason I`m shying away from AIO/SG is I`m looking for a deeper, wetter look than I`ve heard the Klasse products provide together.

Well, that`s weird. A whole bunch of the Zaino-bashers go for Klasse precisely because they want that "deeper, wetter" look. Me, I use both Klasse and Zaino. :nixweiss

Has you reading yet gotten you to a discussion of waxes vs. sealants? One of the reasons for going with Zaino or Klasse AIO + SG is that these polymer sealants give literally months of protection, whereas waxes give weeks. And I`m just lazy enough to appreciate that difference.

Won`t the AIO completely wipe out whatever glaze is under it?

I can`t help you with that question. I`m sure some of our more experienced members will chime in.

I`m using Klasse AIO/SG on my `93 Benz, preceded by PerfectIt polish. The Benz paintwork isn`t the kind of flawless perfection that many Autopians seek (especially those afflicted/blessed with black cars). But I sure have been happy with the results.

Dalight
07-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

Has you reading yet gotten you to a discussion of waxes vs. sealants? One of the reasons for going with Zaino or Klasse AIO + SG is that these polymer sealants give literally months of protection, whereas waxes give weeks. And I`m just lazy enough to appreciate that difference.

I understand the difference. If it`s a significantly better look, I don`t mind re-applying a wax topper every 6 weeks or so (maybe more freqently) as long as I don`t have to re-apply the sealant each time also.

imported_Intel486
07-08-2004, 12:45 PM

The only thing that worries me about a carnuba topper is when I need another layer of sealant, I have to go all the way back to the polish / glaze. :(

Once I get 3 or 4 layers of SG on there and a coat of wax, then I don`t every apply anymore SG until I do another detail on the vehicle and run a polish over it.

The P21S will be the first barrier being destroyed, not the SG. And I would wax 1/2 my truck every week so every two weeks it had a new coat on there. The SG would be there awhile.

Dalight
07-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Just an update experiment...

After getting home today, I washed the hood of the car. I then applied Klasse AIO to the left side and VM to the right side.

After buffing those off, I put EX-P on the front of the hood and S-100 on the back (sorry, no control :) ).

In the dusk light and the 2 60 watt bulbs in the garage, I can`t really tell a difference. The parts waxed by EX-P are more slick while the S100 seem to be more silky.

Tomorrow, when I`m heading to work, I`ll park for a minute in the driveway and examine.

For review:

FR: VM/EX-P

FL: AIO/EX-P

RR: VM/S100

RL: AIO/S100