PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a 300C yet?

Pages : [1] 2

Buick_guy
07-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has detailed a 300C yet.

My dad has been showing a interest in them since they came out, and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts as to them. Thanks for everything.

SilverBelle04
07-05-2004, 11:16 AM
I rented one (300C) last week for a few days. All i can say is Hemi woooohooooo !

Nice ride and attracts a lot of attention. Handles well (for a BIG) car, lots of power, but the interior could be better.

Bob

MongooseGA
07-05-2004, 09:40 PM
wait for the SRT-8 version. they also have an AWD model coming out.

ive heard rumors of the SRT-8 model (for 300 and Magnum) is to make like 450 hp.

eclemens
07-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Expect closer to 425 with a naturally aspirated 6.1L Hemi. Also gets big brakes, firmer suspension, and wider tires.

VV

MongooseGA
07-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by VetteVert

Expect closer to 425 with a naturally aspirated 6.1L Hemi. Also gets big brakes, firmer suspension, and wider tires.

VV

will it be a HEMI? i`ve heard yes and no.

the new SRT-6 crossfire looks cool, but it`s like a 10k jump in price from the n/a coupe. the S/C conv. models are looking at ~50 ish k.

SRT... 3 good letters in cahoots with each other!

imported_Larry A
07-06-2004, 09:32 AM
A good friend of mine has the 300 C and I have to say its one hell of a car . We didnt wax it , just QD it.

eclemens
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Should still be a HEMI, yes. Chances are it won`t be a SRT only item...as it will probably see duty in at least the heavy duty rams as well.

VV

Originally posted by MongooseGA

will it be a HEMI? i`ve heard yes and no.

the new SRT-6 crossfire looks cool, but it`s like a 10k jump in price from the n/a coupe. the S/C conv. models are looking at ~50 ish k.

SRT... 3 good letters in cahoots with each other!

Matt M, PA
07-06-2004, 12:24 PM
As an old-time Mopar guy, I find the 300C to be a step in the right direction, but still not quite hitting the mark. I felt the same way about the "new" GTO when I drove one of those a week ago. Nice cars to be sure, rear wheel drive (as it should be) and good performance, but a cheap interior hurts this car badly. We also will have to wait and see how this first year car`s quality is.

"Hemi" is the new buzzword that Diamler is using these days to harken back to the old musclecar images. Problem is, many cars today have hemispherical chambers, like some Hondas, yet other makers don`t advertise it. There are better ways to make powerful engines these days, and the whole Hemi thing is kinda dated.

If you look at the way product lines are setup, you can see why they won`t come anywhere near 425 HP...it comes too close to the Viper....and competing with the line that Daimler really cares about...Mercedes.

With the SRT line, it seems that Daimler, er, Chrysler is learning from the other German makers, like BMW. The basic car is good, and fairly priced....but if you want some power and handling, you pay a hefty premium. That`s why I`m not driving a BMW M3. (We have gone to two, soon to be three, BMW Ultimate Test Drives, where you compete on an autocross course. It`s a great way to get a good feel for the car. After thrashing a 3 series, and being impressed, I looked into getting one. By the time you get into the more powerful (but not THAT powerful) 3 series coupe with better headlights, stereo, etc...it was over $40,000. An M3? $56,000.)

imported_fireberd350
07-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Well said Matt ;)

The whole HEMI fascination is kind of overblown, yet an ingenious marketing scheme. People are fascinated by HEMI`s, yet most don`t know what a real HEMI is. The new engines are without a doubt good engines but go for a ride in an 426 Hemi powered car or any classic Hemi and you will know what a real Hemi is all about.

As for the 300`s, I like them a lot and think car manufacturers are heading in the right direction with classic styling such as the new Mustang, etc. Lets not talk about the GTO (Gran Prix look alike). ...talk about overpriced and bad styling. ehhh.

eclemens
07-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Don`t go betting money on that ;) The SRT version will be over 400. Of course I can`t prove that to you now, we`ll just have to wait and see :)

And for a pushrod motor (2 valve heads), the HEMI is still actually a good design, although it has been modified from the original version for better swirling. Obviously pent-roof type setups are optimal for 3-5 valve heads. Personally, I`m thrilled with a pushrod engine. (As well as the LS1, LS2, and LS6...compare the LS6 in the CTS-V to the northstar in the XLR)

VV

Originally posted by Matt M, PA

If you look at the way product lines are setup, you can see why they won`t come anywhere near 425 HP...it comes too close to the Viper....and competing with the line that Daimler really cares about...Mercedes.

Dalight
07-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Buick_guy

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has detailed a 300C yet.

You`ll need an entire bottle of shampoo and wax just for the huge-*** grill. :P

MongooseGA
07-06-2004, 08:05 PM
i kind of dislike the way that Daimler has stuffed a HEMI into everything. IMO, it wouldnt be too bad for just the Ram (which officially brought the `HEMI` back as a househeld word) and the 300. but when they put it in the new durango (which i personally think is hideous, and too `mini-vannish` for an SUV) and the Magnum station wagon, its kind of old.

i cant wait to see the 300C convertible. i have been waiting for years to see it put into production. gorgeous car.

ive only sat in the 300C for a minute at a dealership. wasnt able to play with much because the dealer was anal about keeping the car smudge free. what was so cheap inside?

Scottwax
07-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Hemi 300C = sex

Very good looking car in person. I`ve seen a few, but haven`t detailed on yet.

Prometheus
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
I have to say i disagree with the HEMI being dated tech. SUre its older technology, but still makes more power when compared with a regular non-hemispherical motor that is naturally aspirated and with semi-stock parts. Sure, you could take a small (or big block for that matter) chevy or ford motor and have it make more power than a HEMI, but out of the box the HEMI will make more every time if the engines are the same size. Only engine that MIGHT give the HEMI a run for its money is the LS6, but thats so hopped up its not even funny.

Also, the new GTO is ridiculus. Want to make a Grand Prix knock off with more power, fine. But dont desicrate the name of an awesome old car in the process. Maybe i feel this way cause dad has a REAL GTO (`67), but the new ones definately dont deserve the GTO badge.

The 300C is pretty cool though, evokes images of the old 300 series cars, which is the idea i guess, and they seem to be doing pretty well at it too.

Last comment... V10 HEMI Viper engine anyone?

Corey Bit Spank
07-07-2004, 09:22 AM
I have a HEMI shirt.

Yesterday, when walking up to a group of my friends at a meet I was asked if my chest was hemi powered. Of course, it is, why thank you.