PDA

View Full Version : How to remove or hide polish residue on side moulding?

superstring
07-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi Folks

My black Subaru was in the body shop recently and they`ve left me some nice "presents" to deal with. Besides swirls and other marks, they left polish residue on the foam backing for the side door mouldings (of course they didn`t mask it off!!) So now I have a nice white line along my black door :angry . I`ve tried using a stiff detailing brush, but the residue has worked its` way into the foam`s pores.

I guess I could take the moulding off, but other than removing the foam altogether, I`m still not sure what I`d do then. I`d really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

ccreamer
07-04-2004, 09:03 PM
A couple of different things I have heard that will remove these spots are

1. Peanut Butter (creamy probably better than chunky)

2. Pencil Eraser (the big pink ones )

Good Luck,

Cory

superstring
07-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey Cory

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the residue is in the foam backing, so, for instance, if I were to use peanut butter, it would just soak into the foam. Maybe it would take the residue with it! :D But maybe it would just create another problem :confused:

SilverBelle04
07-05-2004, 05:12 AM
You might want to try rubbing it with a detail brushes dipped in iso alcohol.

or option 2 - take it back to the body shop and have them fix it.

Bob

kempie
07-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Meguiars Trim Detailer has some cleaning abilities but who knows what it will do on foam.

superstring
07-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks, guys. I`m going to take it back to the detail shop today and see what they have to say.