PDA

View Full Version : I tested the Makita rotary water yesterday!

Spilchy
07-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Well, I haved joined the rotary club! :up

I jumped right in without practice on a customer`s white Acura :scared I figured Baptism by fire :p

I have worked on this Acura before and received the owner`s permission to test the Makita.

I taped all trim and emblems and covered all the windows with newspaper. Took about 15 minutes but WELL worth it! It was sling city with the product! I wore a belt of polish along my waist the first few passes. The covered windows got a good coating too :o

I love the wind up of the Makita to full speed and then the ability to lock it in place. To start I used my trusty #80 Speed Glaze with an old orange LC pad that has lost a little bite. The pad was misted once with FI.

I was a little nervous which was evident my first 2 minutes. I allowed the rotary to take me for a ride instead of controlling it, if you guys know what I mean! :D I had to reel her in a bit - let her know who is boss. She was like a Tasmanian Devil the first 5 minutes! I started out at 900rpm and then moved up to @1250 where I stayed for the duration of the car.

I found that the faster speed was easier to control. I allowed the polisher to move accross the surface without much pressure. It just glided nice and smooth from left to right in a slow, uniform fashion with very a methodical broad stroke. I just didn`t go a zillion miles and hour up and down, left to right. Also, I found that next to no pressure and a light grip on the rotary was best. I had problems if I tightly gripped it. If you clench up and get all wound up and uptight, you`ll have problems. In essence, I simply let it rip and I just gently guided it. Let the weight of the polisher (with a little pressure) guide you accross the surface and break the product down. I like the handle too including the "tail" handle on the bottom. It is light and well balanced.

The product breaks down real fast leaving an incredible near perfect, glass-like / mirror-like finish. It was remarkable! 99% of the flaws just went away in seconds! I won`t go in to how great the rotary is. We know it`s benefits over the PC. After the whole car was polished with #80 I could have easily gone to my LSP, but I used NXT with a PC (and then topped with #16 by hand).

HOWEVER :o (and maybe someone can help me here)... Out of nowhere, I would lose control and she would go haywire and skip and bounce on the surface. I had to shut it off and start up again. Also, I found that she didn`t like going up and down, rather only left to right. When I tried going up and down, she would pull hard to the right.

How have you guys mastered controlling it? Particulary going up and down. I noticed my issues would occur when the polish would start to dry up an cake up. But even when it was wet, going up and down was hard :nixweiss

Now...about those holograms...NONE!!! :D After polishing, I pulled the car into the sun and even took out my 1000 W halogens. Zero. I know it`s white, but I couldn`t see any, no matter how I scrutinized it. Also, 99% swirls and scratches were gone. It was amazing. I only saw little whisps of tiny little scratches here and there. Nothing anybody but us would notice.

It`s common sense - Use a light polish, a nice clean polishing pad, slower speeds and you should be ok. Move up the scale as required. I`m sure when I do a dark car, I may have them, but they are easily cleared up with a PC (done it a zillion times).

Overall, I am hooked. Polishing time was cut in half. Sling became minimal but annoying once I got the hang of it. Controlling it was very good for the most part (not great). I still need some practice and help with the up and down motions. Again, Any feedback would be appreciated.

I look forward to using a heavier polish and pad for surface correction.

Again, the rotary isn`t "hard". It`s common sense, a relaxed confident attitude along with a strategy in mind on how to attack the surface.

If you ain`t got one yet, what are you waiting for? :xyxthumbs

Thanks for your time guys :wavey

Corey Bit Spank
07-04-2004, 04:59 PM
:) Congrats. I`m going to learn soon.

Accumulator
07-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Spilchy- Glad to hear your first rotary experience went so well!

The control issue might be somewhat a function of your product. #80 isn`t the greatest for use by rotary, it sorta gums up a little and that might have contributed to the wrestling match. Other than that, it`s just a matter of gaining experience. IMO it`s never quite as easy when you go counter to the machine`s rotation, just the nature of the thing.

Bill D
07-04-2004, 05:02 PM
That`s great!

I`m working on reducing sling. Tried the technique in the Megs vidoe as well as smearing with the pad beforehand--gotta try that with the edge of the pad next. I`m glad I have an apron to wear. I`m betting pretty soon I`m going to go ahead and just do the marring that`s been bothering me for a very long time now

kempie
07-04-2004, 08:29 PM
I use the 3M pads and Menzerna Intensive w/the rotary and have very little sling.

As for control, keeping the pad level to the surface is the most important part of control.

Sometimes I will have to mist the pad twice before all the product is used up.

Rotary is the only way for me to go now, followed by the PC.

jerry@robs
07-04-2004, 08:30 PM
gumming up pads lead to skipping, as does the angle of the buffer.

try to hold the buffer differently when working up and down, soon you`ll find an angle that best "rides" with the torque of the machine and it`ll glide smoothly regardless of what direction you`re buffing...

Welcome to the club :)

Be very careful with hops, as each hop-landing can cause a permanent burn. :)

jimmybuffit
07-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Spur.

Clean the pad at least after every panel, if not more often. A toothbrush works for foam pads.

When it starts to hop, manipuating the `tail` gently, left/right, up/down, sems to help. But, cleaning the pad is best.

Jim

Spilchy
07-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys for the tips :xyxthumbs

I found holding it at a SLIGHT angle greatlt helped with the control. I know too much of an angle is no good.

I just wish the Meguiar`s video was still up and running. I would of loved one last look before I used the rotary :( Oh well, maybe when DavidB increases the bandwidth, he`ll put it back :D

Bill D
07-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Spilchy,

You have to constantly reload it and take a break and come back to it here and there, but eventually each segment of the video will play.

For me, more so than sling, I have most difficulty guiding the rotary from top to bottom, lots of resistance from the buffer. I`m going to try and practice again just in this direction on that blasted silver fender ;). I will be sure to use plenty of product, mist the pad and I have orrdered a pad cleaning tool :up