PDA

View Full Version : Finally fed up enough to do it...

Prometheus
07-04-2004, 02:45 PM
So, I`m finally fed up enough working on my black car by hand that i`m probably going to be getting a PC in the near future. So, here`s the question, where should i get all my crap from? I know Coastal has a good deal, but how is that backing pad? How is the kit from Autopia with the PC and pads and backing plate? I`m trying to keep it under $180 for the PC and beginning set of pads. If i order the Coastal PC, ill probably get like $50 in pads from CMA (2 yellow, 3 white, prolly 2 grey), so then i`m up to right around $180. The other thing i have been thinking, is getting the Ultimate kit from Autopia with the PC and 3 pads (like $160) and getting a few extra pads from somewhere. What would you guys do? Right now I`m kind of leaning toward the Coastal/CMA combo, but i dont know what i should do. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

scottabir
07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Why not get the kit from autopia and see if you like the pads that come with the set? If you do you will know where to get more.

Meg`s has a three pack of pads (2 polish and 1 finish) for 24.99. I personally like them for the PC. They are 6 inch so you might need a 5 inch backing plate. I dont use a 5" plate, you just have to be careful and mindful that the edge of the backing plate is right by the edge of the pad.

chris0626
07-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Congratulations on finally taking the plunge. I pondered it for about a year myself -- worried about the expense and afraid of doing damage. But it`s more than paid for itself in helping me work faster and use more effective polishes. And it`s very difficult to make a boo-boo with it if you don`t get careless.

As for what kind of combos you need, check out the threads in 4DSC`s sig line, and read geekysteve`s Porter Cable for Beginners (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1). Tons of great info there.

I haven`t found the velcro on the Megs pads to hold up as well as the velcro on the Lake Country pads.

Nowdays, if I`m only ordering pads -- and if places like Autopia and CMA aren`t running a special on them -- I get mine from Top of the Line. TOL`s everyday prices generally beat the others.

Magellan498
07-04-2004, 05:12 PM
I concur with what Lynn said. Lake Country pads are (in my experience) far superior to the Meguiars pads, both because of their shape and the durability of the pads.

You could also check out just getting the PC from Lowes and ordering the backing plate and pads from TOL. That`s what I did, and I remember it being pretty cheap back then. :nixweiss

Prometheus
07-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Has anybody used the 6" plate that comes with the Coastal tool PC? I`m just wondering if it is flexable at all or rigid (just afraid of shredding pads). I might get the Autopia one, but i dont know, thus the reason for this post. BTW, are the Autopia pads Lake County? Somebody said they were (I think) but i dont remember.

Nates
07-04-2004, 06:51 PM
You will likely not be shredding pads with the LC pads (or at least the VC curved pads that I`ve used). They have a harder plastic lining between the pad and velcro that acts as a buffer to keep the pad from getting eaten by the backing plate. I got the 7336 from lowes and ordered everything else on the net. I have to agree that the Meg`s pads are just not up to comparison with LC (at least the way I use `em, they get chewed up and the velcro doesn`t hold as well... think polishing pad frisbee). Also, along with the mainstay co.`s that support this site check pakshak.com (good autopian discount and fast shipping on LC pads) and smartshopper.com.