PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Remover/Prep Product

Pages : [1] 2

BRUN
07-04-2004, 11:18 AM
im about to place an order for all new products so that i can do my car properly

from reading this site ive come to realise a lot of the results is in the preparation.......so, id appreciate some opinions on which products to use first

ill be using the Clearkote clay bar first, then the cleaner/swirl remover product, and then #7 show car glaze followed by NXT

(please dont debate my final stage products, if they turn out to be rubbish ive got another plan !....which involves EX-P and #16)

ive been thinking of Swirl Remover #9 2.0, or Clearkote Vanilla Moose

ive got a metallic black car with quite a few swirls id like to get rid of

thanks for all the help on here, this forums great, im very new to it and asking a lot of questions, and i can always rely on well reasoned aswers from people speaking from personal experience !

scottabir
07-04-2004, 11:59 AM
I think you`ll find the #9 to be more of a benefit than the VM for swirl removal. VM is a glaze that has some nice chemical cleaners in it, but nothing abrasive (if so it is miniscule). It does help hide minor swirls with its oils. I like the VM better than the #7 because of the ease of use factor. This is just my $.02

It sounds like you are on the right track and have the proper order to which apply the products, Pics are a must when you get your car done :D

BRUN
07-04-2004, 12:04 PM
maybe i shouldnt be so set on using #7 then........

thing is though, after what ive read about it, it sounds like THE product to give me the really wet look i crave !........

tguil
07-04-2004, 12:09 PM
I know black and I know swirls. I`ve been "in black" since 1977. :xyxthumbs

Sometimes (make that most of the time) to remove swirls on black you need to use what some folks consider to be pretty aggressive stuff. If you have a pc, you might as well start with a polishing pad and Meguiar`s #83 DACP with the pc set at 5. Follow this with #82 SFP on a fresh polishing pad with the pc set somewhere around 3-4. Then apply the NXT with another polishing pad. Remove all of the products with microfiber polishing cloths. You should have a near perfect finish.

If you are doing the car by hand, I suggest using Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection applied with a microfiber covered application pad. Use the Swirl Remover #9 where you need it most --the whole car if necessary. Again use a microfiber covered applicator. Meguiar`s Hand Polish #81 might be a good but not necessary step before applying the NXT.

In my opinion, #7 is an excellent product for show cars, but using it on a daily driver is a waste of time. (First time I used it was on a new 1970 dark metallic green Olds Cutlass 442. :D)

By the way, even though many folks on this forum sort of put down NXT because it is a consumer line product, I have found that it is a darned good product for black cars. It can`t be layered, but its light cleaning capability is great on daily drivers. I`ve even managed to remove minor water spotting with it.

I apply a fresh coat of NXT about every 6 weeks on my black Hemi. I wash the truck with Deep Crystal or NXT wash and dry it with microfiber towels. I`ve not had the need to use a QD since switching over to NXT and microfiber towels.

If you really want the wet look top NXT with a carnauba. (S100 or Meguiar`s #16) Of the sealants out there, perhaps BLACKFIRE has the wettest look. (At least that my opinion.) You may want to use it rather than NXT.

Tom :cool:

Prometheus
07-04-2004, 12:16 PM
If you`re doing a black car by hand, dont expect superb results. Black reveals all, and it`s nearly impossible to get perfect by hand. Even with a PC i`ve rarely seen a truely perfect black finish. I ended up giving up by hand on my black car and im just living with it... saving those pennies for the PC...

BRUN
07-04-2004, 12:23 PM
is there no way i can keep the wet look of #7 on a daily driver car, by using sealant/wax over the top ?

Lowejackson
07-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Glazes are great products, it is unfortunately a short lived product once applied.

In the long term it is easier if the swirls etc are removed with a polish.

BRUN
07-04-2004, 12:50 PM
well what if i used swirl remover #9, then used #7 show car glaze, and topped with a sealant ?

scottabir
07-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I think NXT with adhere over the oils in #7 if I remember correctly what Mike P. said. For some unknown reason to me (im not a chemical engineer) the glazes seem to disappear after few washes even with a sealant over top of them. This has been my observation at least. On black cars *I* like the look of VM topped with TS wax, that gives me a nice warm, wet look in my eyes. Also VM + Ex-P looks real wet in my eyes.

Of course it may look different to you and others.

So to answer your question I would say that your combo will produce a nice wet look, but it may dimish rapidly on a daily driver like the others have mentioned above.

BRUN
07-04-2004, 01:19 PM
hmmmmmm

i think im definitely going to go the EX-P route, however, and reminding myself of the main reason for this thread, i need recommendations to get rid of swirls !

what about the Poorboys World SSR ?

scottabir
07-04-2004, 01:28 PM
I got a demo of the SSR line last weekend and I am impressed with them. I think they are a good choice if you have a PC, Im not sure how they will work by hand. If you are doing this by hand I would suggest you look at the 1Z line of polishes carefully, they are very user friendly and they do a good job at removing swirls.

BRUN
07-04-2004, 01:57 PM
i live in the UK and as far as i know we cant get any of the 1z products over here

BRUN
07-04-2004, 02:03 PM
had a bit of a read up, and if i can get it im going to try Poorboys SSR 2.5, ill jus have to see how i go doing it by hand !

scottabir
07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Im really surprised you cant get them over there, they are a German company, so close to you. We have to wait until they decide to import them over here.

imported_pugoman
07-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi again BRUN!

If you want 1Z polishes go to http://www.detailersparadise.com.

Alex sells the Poorboys SSR products.

No matter what you use, you`ll have your work cut out to remove anything but the finest of swirls by hand.

Don`t be afraid to order some products from the USA - they arrive on your doorstep in just the same way as if you`d ordered them from the UK. You can be quite limited if you just stick to products only available in the UK.