PDA

View Full Version : New mircofiber and terry cloths.

mnbv
07-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I just got my package of my U. drying towel (big WW microfiber) and 6 mircofibers. (kakies) I know I should use one for glass only (wash separatly), 1-4 for removing products (wax/polish), 1-2 for general purpose uses.(this is all I can think of) What should I use to mark them?

I am wondering if I should wash them before first use. If so, how exactly would I wash them? Also I have a ton of dirty terrys, how should I wash those.

I got a new wool washmitt in the package, how should I maintain this after washes, actually washing it for longevity and should I wash before first use?

JustinR32
07-05-2004, 08:07 PM
1) Only 6? You need more mf towels. You should have a dozen. I`m not being flippant; you need at least 2 towels per product when working, and you need to have an extra towel or two for if you drop one. You need enough towels so that you`re not thinking about conserving them; they are a renewable (washable) resource.

2) don`t mark them. You can reuse them for anything after washing them.

3) I have never washed mine before first use. I guess it wouldn`t hurt, though.

4) I`ve used regular laundry detergent to wash mine, and I take them to the laundromat. Mrs Mosca doesn`t appreciate the waxy ring that sometimes appears in the washer. DO NOT use hot water, and DO NOT dry on "high"; use medium for each. I just started using MicroRestore detergent for mine (do a search), and I like it.

5) Use regular detergent and high temps for the cotton terrys. DO NOT put terry towels and microfibers in the same load; the lint from the terrys clogs the microfibers. Don`t even THINK of drying them together.

6) for real sheepskin/wool mitts, soak them to float loose dirt away, agitate them in the bucket a bit (as if washing your hands), then a simple rinse with a high pressure stream from a garden hose should suffice; air dry. Machine washing and drying the sheepskin mitts is really hard on them.

I hope this helps,

Tom

Scott P
07-05-2004, 08:21 PM
I wash my MF towels in hot water with a cold rinse. No problems here. I use Micro-Restore as well and let them dry until slightly damp on low heat int he dryer.

mnbv
07-05-2004, 08:38 PM
I probably should get some more, 31$ on towels so far. I like these kakies, plus they are cheaper then WW.

imported_perry
07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Well, the WW is for drying, and the khaki towels are for removing products... So two different uses, can`t really compare them on price, ya know?

What ya could do is pick up some EX-P from pakshak or poorboysworld and get some more microfibers at the same time.. since your other thread was complaining about shipping just one item.

JustinR32
07-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Regardless of the initial outlay, towels are cheap because they last a long time if you care for them right; your questions here are good ones, because the answers will help you get the most value out of your mfs.

Towels don`t have to be expensive to be good, but good towels can also be expensive. The Elite towels from Autofiber are great, probably the best. The towels from Excel Detail aren`t as great, but they`re still great and they`re a lot cheaper. The latest towels from Meguiar`s are also excellent, and they`re about $3.50 each when purchased bulk.

If you go with a respected vendor, you will get excellent value. If you care for your towels they should last a couple years.

Tom

Jesstzn
07-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Good advice on the towels above .. My sheepskin mit .. all I do is at the end of the wash I give it a good agitate in the wash water and hang it on the side of the pail to dry after I dump the water .. All the crud is caught up in the catch grate in the bottom of the pail.

mnbv
07-05-2004, 10:37 PM
quote from perry: Well, the WW is for drying, and the khaki towels are for removing products... So two different uses, can`t really compare them on price, ya know?

What ya could do is pick up some EX-P from pakshak or poorboysworld and get some more microfibers at the same time.. since your other thread was complaining about shipping just one item.

I found out after reading the autopia e-book that I need a few more things. I need 303 carpet/fabric cleaner (shampoo), more MF`s (for removing wax/polish), EX-P and possibly a second wash mitt. I was recommended by unreal to try autogeek.com to order all these products and save on shipping. I am having troble choosing the correct MF. I would just get more khakis but theu do not carry them. I need about 6 more MF`s that removes wax and polish after applying, I got all the other bases covered.

imported_perry
07-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Maybe this towel - http://www.autogeek.net/cobdettowinb.html

Unfortunately, a little more pricey than the Khaki towels..

Maybe you can find 303 locally .. http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=retailersearch

That might open your choice of retailers up a little more...

mnbv
07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
I knew it would happen, I go to finish off my supplies and end up spending 60 more bucks! I am loving it. :p :xyxthumbs Are you sure that these are the towels that I am looking for, I will be using these same towels over and over for a long time. So far I have WW UDT, 6 khakies (QDing and multipurpose, mostly interior) and 6 Cobras (removing wax/polish + heavy duty use) 59$ total for towels (including ones already bought. So you are saying this is the towel that will do what by khakies and drying towel won`t?

mnbv
07-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I got the 303 place REALLY close by, but will it only have 303 Aerospace Protectant? I already have that (wrote a review even) I need the carpet cleaner, will they hold that at that shop? It said:

Products & Info:

303 Aerospace Protectant 8oz,16oz.

chris0626
07-06-2004, 02:34 AM
I agree with what some others have said: You need to have so many microfibers that you don`t tend to "scrimp" in using them. My paltry collection probably numbers around 30, which feels right to me, detailing 3-4 cars. Others here (say "jimamary" somebody!) have 200. :eek:

Have you seen this thread of microfiber towel sources (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=381125)? There are a bunch of great sources here! And several of those vendors are active members on Autopia.

carcrazy22
07-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Regarding Terry Towels, I will share my experience.

For "Light" dirty, just wash them with any good detergent ( I use purex deep clean ) in washer with gentle cycle. Dont wash with Regular Fabric cycle as it will damage the towel. It will come out clean.

For "medium" dirty, I presoak them with detergent and/or pour rubbing alcohol over stain and then wash them in washer with gentle cycle.

For very "tough stains" I presoak the towels, then pressure wash the spots in my bathing tub. I bought a adapter from Home depot and connect hose to faucet. ( I know everybody will get kick outta it :D).

For very dirty towels, just discard them, no need to waste time on them.