PDA

View Full Version : PC Speeds

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-03-2004, 08:12 AM
How do I determine which speed to use with my PC?

Is it based on the pad type (i.e. color) , on the product being used (e.g. DACP, #9, etc) , on the condition of the finish (e.g lots of swirls) or all of the above?

When searching around the site I see quite a difference in speeds for what seems to be the same scenario. e.g. I`ve seen speeds mentioned from 2 to 5 for applying polish.

The products I am mostly concerned with are:

- DACP

- FP II

- AIO (if anyone uses a PC for their AIO)

freedre
07-03-2004, 09:25 AM
I use 4.5 almost exclusively. I am using Lake Country pads and they won`t stand up to anything faster.

The `aggressiveness` of the pad has a lot to do with how deeply you polish. I usually start out with SSR1 on a white pad and work my way up to SSR3 on an orange pad, if necessary. Being limited with the speed is a real drawback tho, I am going to switch to Edge pads when these are finished.

You are not likely to hurt anything using 4.5.

imported_eggroll
07-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I first start at 3.5 to get even coverage, then bump it up to 5.5.

scottabir
07-03-2004, 12:16 PM
I use a lot of LC VC pads and they hold up extremly well at speeds 5.5-6, which I use almost exclusivly when polishing with the PC. I use these speeds with DACP, #9 and FP (I dont have FPII). AIO speed for me depends on what type of finish I am working on...but generally stays about 4-5 range.

imported_YouGottaBeLeaf
07-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by scottabir

AIO speed for me depends on what type of finish I am working on...but generally stays about 4-5 range.

What do you mean by the type of finish and how does it affect the speed you choose?