PDA

View Full Version : QD`s and tire shine

northstar518
07-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi,can anyone recommend a QD and a tire dressing that won`t sling off?Iv`e heard that Zaino is one of the best for each.Thanks.

Lowejackson
07-03-2004, 08:12 AM
I really like the Zaino QD and have not had any problems with it. As for the tyres, I find that buffing after about 10 minutes stops any slinging

imported_eggroll
07-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Buffing is a must.

chris0626
07-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Oh lordy! With all this conflicting advice, no wonder Autopians have a high incidence of baldness. <pulls out hair> :lol

I use Zaino on my tires. Never had a "slinging" problem. My Zaino rep told me NOT to buff. He said that applying and just letting it dry leaves a satin finish, whereas buffing would make it a bit glossier. Hence, I`ve never buffed it. On the other hand, I also don`t typically drive the car for about 12 hours after applying the Zaino (just because that`s how my detailing schedule works).

shaf
07-04-2004, 06:57 AM
I think problems with slinging may also be affected by how much tire dressing you apply. I apply my dressings sparingly enough that I can`t see myself ever having "sling" issues, and I`ve never felt the need to buff them...

Another case of YMMV I guess. :p

lflorack
07-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by northstar518

Hi,can anyone recommend a QD and a tire dressing that won`t sling off?Iv`e heard that Zaino is one of the best for each.Thanks.

I use several of the Zaino products but their tire dressing isn`t one of them. Over the years, I`ve used several but have (for the present) settled on Meguiar`s Endurance. I`ve had slinging problems with everything BUT Meguiar`s Endurance. For me, it`s easy to apply too and looks great.

YMMV.

Lowejackson
07-04-2004, 08:55 AM
I dont use Zaino for my tyres but I have found that buffing does seem to give a more matt finish compared to simply leaving it to air dry.

Mr Monk
07-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Hello Lakewood ! :wavey

Northstar. . . there are many really good QDs and tire dressings on the market today.

TIRE DRESSINGS - it depends on the look you`re after - matte, sheen, or the "ooey-gooey" wet tar look. It`s really a personal thing.

I like Poorboys Bold N Bright, a water based dressing that darkens the tire and gives a nice moderate shine. It dries to the touch. No sling.

As 4DSC said, the amount applied to the tires will determine if there will be any sling. Many dressings require that after application you wipe down the tire to remove any excess.

QDs - They`re a dime a dozen, but a few really stand out as excellent. My choice are: Clearkote`s Qucik Shine / Eagle One W&S / and one of the Meguiars QDs. I hear that their new "Last Touch" is superb (haven`t ried it yet), I`d also throw in Mother`s Showtime.

Again the above products are my personal choice. There are so many others that other Autopians use that are equally as good.

Good Luck and welcome to the OBSESSION !!!

kempie
07-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Seems like you would use a wax type QD if you have wax on your car and a polymer (Zaino) type QD if you have that on your car.

Most anything will sling off the tires if you put it on thick enough or dont let it dry. Ribbed tires take longer to dry. I use Endurance on the smooth Michilens (Mountaineer) and Zaino on the ribbed Coopers (Cad). No sling....

Mr Monk
07-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Kempie is correct about QDs for either a wax or synthetic that`s already on your car.

Some QDs have a carnuba content. If that`s what you`re looking for then I would recommend GLIPTONE`s BODY GLOSS which is available at both PEPs and Strauss here in our area.

ZaneO
07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Zaino Z6 and ClearKote`s Quik Shine are my two favorite QD`s. Other nice ones are Meguiar`s Final Inspection and Last Touch, Wolfgang, etc.

Armor All is nice because you can apply it for a matte finish or shinier finish. Invest in Eagle One tire swipes and slinging shouldn`t be much of a problem. Poorboy`s, Zaino, and Tropi Care all make nice tire dressings, too.

mnbv
07-05-2004, 02:17 PM
I have 303 and plan on trying it on my tires. I have read on autopia`s e-book that you should buff it out with a terry cloth after 10-30 min to get a more matte or satin finish.