PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Pads

jmontgom
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
My new area of interest is buffing pads. I was wondering if anyone could explain what is the best pads to use in different situations? And what is the best way to clean the pads and how often do you need to clean.

Thanks Again
Jon

CharlesW
10-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Just so you don`t feel like you are being ignored.
You have asked some pretty wide ranging questions, so You are going to get some wide ranging answers.

1. Best pad in different situations.
Cutting pad with compounds, IMO best used only with a rotary.
Polishing pad with polishes
Finishing pad for sealant or wax application.
In my case, I use a different pad for each product I use.
Lots of choices as to brand and type of backing plate system to use.

2. How to clean the pads?
Some wash them, some use a soft brush to brush the dried product from the pad. I have done both. Right now, I`m back to washing them in soap & water. Your choice.

3. How often do you need to clean them?
For me, it is after each days use.

This isn`t much, but it is a start. Keep reading and asking questions.

Charles

NYV6Coupe
10-13-2004, 06:42 PM
The only pads I`ve used are 6"cupped , 6.5" flat, and 7.5" Variable Contact Lake Country (LC) pads for a PC & 8" tufted LC pads for a rotary. Can`t comment on Edge pads or Meg`s pads.

All pads from all mfg`s come in various colors and the colors/application is not standard by any means.

You can take a look at this LC chart & get an idea about what each pad is capable of: http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/padappguide.html

Good idea not to mix products on a pad but if you start out with a mild polish and then find you need something with more abrasive cutting action then it`s OK to use the same pad. Just don`t go from a more abrasive compounding product to a finer polishing product on the same pad.

Some people use a nylon brush to clean their pads, I let them soak in soapy water soon as I`m done with a particular step. When the detailing is complete I squeeze them underwater & work them with my knuckles, then I dump the soapy water & start over until clean.

I`ll squeeze out as much water as I can, then I press `em between two towels and then they`re left out to air dry before rebagging for storing.

Nickc0844
10-13-2004, 08:40 PM
I`ve tried quite a few out. Among my favorites are from Edge.

Check out the video on www.dedicationtodetail.com. It`s called the Edge 2000 pad. It`s essentially 2 pads into one, and you don`t have to deal with the velcro situations/frustrations many have.

scottabi
10-31-2004, 06:00 AM
to clean pads check out a product called Klean fom tol. it works great hand washing or in the washer( no ive not had any issues machine
washing pads.)
It also works as good as iso/water for painted surfaces for checking how your polishing is going..removes fillers.