PDA

View Full Version : have zaino want to top it on silver metallic

cds89z28
07-03-2004, 12:45 AM
since being on autopia i have found so much info it almost makes me dizzy...

though very informative.

i am about to do some serious detailing on my car and among other products that i have here is what i plan to do.

first off my car is a sebring silver 98 z28...it is not in bad shape to most people but i myself am very picky like most of the people on here in fact most people think my car is a 2002 or 2003 considering the shape it is in but i know better...first off i need to do a little body work with the paint chips..etc i may buff it out first just to see how it is gonna turn out.

and maybe i can reduce the number of little fixes as well.

anyway the car has never been buffed out. so i plan to compound with some 3m fc compound then procede to a megs fine polish then a wax shop swirl /haze remover.

then here comes the zaino(since i now have a full set up of it i`m gonna use it) first of all i`m not sure about the dawn wash(sould i get some AIO) at this point thought i`m not totally against it then a couple coats of z5 then a few coats(or many like 5-6) of z2 with z6 in between coats as well as zfx in the z2 and z5...then should i top it or just keep adding z2..if i do top it what should i use (choices please for what works good on a silver metallic)

Thanks guys....sorry for the length...but i`m up for many suggestions/silver metallic solutions....and i`m getting a PC very soon as i `ve only had the "fake orbitals"

imported_memnuts
07-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Defintely finish with the AIO as the base for Zaino. I would wash with normal car shampoo after completely your polishing steps prior to AIO just to remove the dust that will be in all the nocks and crannies and any unseen polishing grit on the surface. Z6 misted MF wipe down the vehicle after AIO. Apply Zaino to your hearts content.

I love EX-P, very lightly applied by hand (MF pad) as a topper on "well" cured ( more than 1 week since final Z coat) Zaino.

Don`t forget to clay. :wavey

cds89z28
07-03-2004, 09:22 AM
oh yes and i forgot to mention that one of my first steps before polishing will be to clay...i guess i need some aio....i just did a coat of z2 on my RIMS after polishing them and i was pretty impressed but i just put it on right after i polished them but i did mist and wipe with z6 first....my rims were i guess i would say warm so the z2 was pretty much a wipe on wipe off experience and i`m kinda leery about any kind of bonding that occured cuz i didn`t do a "wash" after the polish and the z2 really went on super easy and seemed like it even beaded in some areas during the initial wipe...well i guess i`ll just have to see how it holds up

General Lee
07-03-2004, 10:19 AM
If you don`t have AIO already, and don`t want to wait for the order(I assume you have to order it) You can use Z 1 as your base for your Zaino process. That is what Zaino wants you to do anyway. I thought your post said you had the whole line of Zaino.

I used AIO as my base w/ no problems except minor streaking, but that was not caused by AIO. Apply Z 2 or 5 THIN coats to minimize streaking and it makes it easier to remove.

Lastly I have been thinking about topping with S100, my last coat of Zaino is well cured by now to top it. My car is not silver but S100/PS21 is also an option for you.