PDA

View Full Version : New 04 Accord - dealer says too soon to wax, I need help :)

Pages : [1] 2

Parabola
07-02-2004, 10:26 PM
I`m new here, but I`ve been doing a lot of lurking (and searching.. a LOT OF searching) and I have a question/dilemma, and what better board to post it on than this one. :)

Anyway. Friend of mine bought a 2004 Accord and the dealer supposedly informed him that he shouldn`t wax for 6 months because the clearcoat needs time to cure. I thought that was a little preposterous, and I know full well that it`s a misconception, but maybe Honda is doing something wacky with their clear coat that I wasn`t previously aware of :) I`m by no means a master detailer, but I hate the idea of someone leaving the paint on their brand new car unprotected from rain and birds, etc, because of some bad information he/she got from a car dealer. Yes, it`s a little absurd to think that car dealers don`t know EVERYTHING about the cars they`re selling... but it happens quite a bit.

I am just hoping that some Autopians can indulge me and post in this thread. There are a lot of professionals here and I intend on linking my friend to this thread. If you can help me out, thanks :)

Scottwax
07-02-2004, 10:38 PM
My Dad picked up his new 2004 Accord on Tuesday, I am waxing it on Monday. No need to wait on new cars unless the dealer repainted part of it, even then, the max wait would be 90 days.

If they offered him a sealant option, then they are definitely lying to him because a sealant does what wax does in putting down a barrier that would prevent the paint from properly curing.

andriver
07-02-2004, 10:39 PM
All big automakers bake their paint on newer cars. No cure time needed. Wax that baby.

tkr128
07-02-2004, 10:48 PM
No need to wait. I waxed my sister`s Accord the week after bringing it home, in fact, all the Accords on the lot already had that awful "3-year sealant" on them already.

ncal
07-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Not only is the paint fine since its factory but by the time the car gets to the lot its been plenty of time. Dealers, its like after you walk out the salemen are like

Salesman 1: "Hahaha I just told him that he doesn`t need to wax since he has a clearcoat!"

Saleman 2: "Oh that`s a good one Roy! I just told that guy that the oil leak was the engine sweating from all the horsepower!"

Parabola
07-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ncal

Not only is the paint fine since its factory but by the time the car gets to the lot its been plenty of time. Dealers, its like after you walk out the salemen are like

Salesman 1: "Hahaha I just told him that he doesn`t need to wax since he has a clearcoat!"

Saleman 2: "Oh that`s a good one Roy! I just told that guy that the oil leak was the engine sweating from all the horsepower!"

That`s what I`m saying. Especially since the car in question is a 2004. The 05s are out now.

Car dealers. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the responses so far... Going to show this to my friend so he knows I`m not full of it and gets some wax onto it!!!

ncal
07-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Oh and make sure your friend clays that car as it will be full of rail dust and other microparticles. Don`t want to seal the garbage in a fresh paint : D

Parabola
07-02-2004, 11:17 PM
I`ll give him the heads up, but claying is a labor intensive process and I`m not sure if I can convince him.

If this car already has sealant on it, than does it even need to be waxed? I`m not sure on this...

In fact the whole reason why this conversation came up was because I was all "yeah, I cleaned and polished my car all weekend" [claybar, SFP, Wolfgang, and I still ain`t happy with how it looks.. I NEED a PC and some DACP] and he`s like "You put wax on it already? The dealer told me not to for six months."

:eek:

I`m wondering if maybe the dealer told him that because it has the sealant on it. If that`s the case, then waxing it wouldn`t hurt, but doesn`t NEED to be done (I would imagine). I could be wrong on that tho.. someone let me know :bow

Scottwax
07-02-2004, 11:24 PM
I hope your friend didn`t get talked into a sealant package, big scam and the dealers make a lot of profit on them. If so though, then it proves the dealer is a liar since you wouldn`t put sealant on uncured paint either.

My Dad told his dealer not to wax his car at all.

Mike_Phillips
07-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Just to chime in here, and hopefully not hijack this thread too much,

About 2-weeks ago, a person that had attended one of the Viper clinics in the last few months called me and told me they just bought a brand new Mercedes-Benz. He then told me the dealership wanted to sell him a Paint Protectant that would guarantee a swirl free finish.

The price $1000.00

Mike

GoodnClean
07-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Mike- Thats just sick. Even worse if the new Benz was Ceramiclear...

Parabola
07-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

My Dad told his dealer not to wax his car at all.

I should have told the Subaru dealer I bought my car from the same thing. Hello swirl city! :mad:

Rather than complain and in their attempt to fix it mess it up even more... I decided to give it a whirl myself (no pun intended) I got some swirls out with SFP, but I`m still not happy... I`m thinking I should at least pick up some DACP. How much stronger is DACP than SFP anyway? I posted that on another forum :D .. but it appears to be down right now.

DaGonz
07-03-2004, 06:12 AM
Maybe the car had areas that were damaged in transit, repaired and repainted.. and the salesman did not disclose that fact to the owner of the "new" Accord :rolleyes:

bahstids! :mad:

Lowejackson
07-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Yup, it sounds like the car might have been resprayed :nixweiss

Scottwax
07-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Mike- Thats just sick. Even worse if the new Benz was Ceramiclear...

No kidding. I have yet to see such flawless, swirl free paint (when unmolested by the dealer) on a Mercedes with no prep.